Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

What chemical is cost effective to spray for grubs

Could someone tell me what is a cost effective chemical to spray for grubs. I have sprayed Sevin XLR and it does a good jod but is expensive per tank to spray. The guy at John Deere Landscape said to spray Crosscheck but it is not listed for grubs. Yes, I am licensed and insured.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I spray Imidacloprid 2F. Application rate is 1.6 pt. per acre. In Missouri I pay less than $80/gallon. What other Vendors do you have close by?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Merit as a prevent. Use the generic much cheaper and works good
Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

You could also use Acelepryn. This is expensive but works as a single application for both subsurface and surface feeding insects for season long control. Price is about $2.5/1000sq.ft. but the amount you save in labor is tremendous.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris68 View Post
I spray Imidacloprid 2F. Application rate is 1.6 pt. per acre. In Missouri I pay less than $80/gallon. What other Vendors do you have close by?
This product I have read others talk about using and combing with Bifen to gain knockdown control and of course the residual of this product. I have heard Ric say that his cost is something like $10 a acre doing it with both. I am sure if your only concern is grubs then I would assume your cost would be lowered substantially as you could get away with just the imidacloprid.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't have any dealers close by in town. There is a John Deere Landscape in Apex about 35 miles away. Do you know if they sell it or does it go by a different trade name? Is it labeled restricted use, some customers don't want anything restricted put out on their property?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
I don't have any dealers close by in town. There is a John Deere Landscape in Apex about 35 miles away. Do you know if they sell it or does it go by a different trade name? Is it labeled restricted use, some customers don't want anything restricted put out on their property?
JDL generic is Bandit 2F. It is RUP in NY not sure of other states.

What difference does it make if its RUP to your customers? that is what the warning label is for. RUP just means they cant buy it and you need a license to (in most cases) I know the box stores carry certain products that contain imidocloprid even tho it is RUP, the just dilute the A.I. to fall below the RUP designation.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
This product I have read others talk about using and combing with Bifen to gain knockdown control and of course the residual of this product. I have heard Ric say that his cost is something like $10 a acre doing it with both. I am sure if your only concern is grubs then I would assume your cost would be lowered substantially as you could get away with just the imidacloprid.
Bifertin is effective for quick knock down & imadachloprid for residual. I wouldn't treat with a systemic only when active grubs are present.

You can also treat with Orthene 75 and Safari as a second treatment.

Orthene is very cheap & Safari not so much, but highly effective with a expedited uptake into the root system, much faster than imadaPro.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bifen will not do anything to grubs......there is a reason why the guy behind the counter is behind the counter i would also stop listening to him and read the label. there is a reason why grubs are not on the bifen label..
Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
bifen will not do anything to grubs......there is a reason why the guy behind the counter is behind the counter i would also stop listening to him and read the label. there is a reason why grubs are not on the bifen label..
it will, but not do all that much by itself. Timing and adjuvants would be critical.

Dominion 2L + Crosscheck, just copy the Allectus formula.