Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Problem with Echo "star blade" brush cutter.

I have used Echo Weed eaters for years. I am very happy with them. Recently after many years of use one of mine locked up and I purchased an new one. When changing from the 'string' to the 'blade'.. I noticed that when i run it , the reversed threaded nut will tighten SO TIGHT that it prevents my blade from spinning. I have to wonder why? i HAVE NEVER had a problem with my old Echo running the 'star blade" ( 3 point Echo brush blade). Any help with be appreciated.
Thanks,
Uncle Timmy.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle timmy View Post
I have used Echo Weed eaters for years. I am very happy with them. Recently after many years of use one of mine locked up and I purchased an new one. When changing from the 'string' to the 'blade'.. I noticed that when i run it , the reversed threaded nut will tighten SO TIGHT that it prevents my blade from spinning. I have to wonder why? i HAVE NEVER had a problem with my old Echo running the 'star blade" ( 3 point Echo brush blade). Any help with be appreciated.
Thanks,
Uncle Timmy.
I think you are missing a part--perhaps it came off when you removed the string head. It's called a plate adaptor, it fits over the shaft, and is the last thing that goes on before screwing on the string head. This plate should keep your brush blade from tightening down so tight that it locks up the blade. It's part number 61031347731--at least for an Echo SRM230. You should be able to do a parts lookup for your model.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
I think you are missing a part--perhaps it came off when you removed the string head. It's called a plate adaptor, it fits over the shaft, and is the last thing that goes on before screwing on the string head. This plate should keep your brush blade from tightening down so tight that it locks up the blade. It's part number 61031347731--at least for an Echo SRM230. You should be able to do a parts lookup for your model.
...or use your old one maybe.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You're missing the adapter. Like Green said, you can use the old adapter off the broken trimmer. They are interchangeable.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

That is just the thing that has me confused. I bought this brush cutter for my old one. ( it was a 2400) I bought a 225 from a Home Depot ( convenient at the time).. and it seems very comparable, the string heads fit interchangeabley.. but when I put the (entire set up) on for the star blade , it tightens down so tight it stops my blade. I do have all the parts. With out the proper adapter the star would have nothing to hold it in center. I just wonder if there is a slight difference in the depth of the 'lug' ( addapter) ??
Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LOOK to see if the blade is contacting the housing somewhere. You might have to put a plain ol flatwasher under the blade adapter to space it up/out a tad.

......AMF!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Good idea.. I thought of a washer, but not under the housing.. You are a genius.!! lol I'll give it a try .
Old 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

True...........I AM a genius!........... Or is that " a legend in my own mind "?

......AMF!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll let you know if it works.. makes perfect sense to me. Believe it or not, I am a millwright .. but I never considered putting a washer UNDER the adapter.. .. Enjoy that beer I bought you!! HAHAHHA ( I am soooo darn ready to get to work!!, stir crazy)
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes....Fish....you probably are a genius. .....you're the one getting the Free beer.
Legend? ......When they start writing books about you..........
Posted via Mobile Device