Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Wheel turn marks in the yard?

My honda commercial mower keeps leaving dirt spots in the yard where there was grass when I rotate the mower (The wheel that I pivot around creates the mark), and it's making the yard look pretty bad. Is this typical of heavy commercial mowers? Is there a specific way I'm supposed to turn it to prevent it? It's done this on at least 3 yards, so it seems to be a problem with the machine.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

depending on wet/soft ground is where you are....here in Pa we have had plenty in the past couple days.... well even when its dry out if you turn w/ inside wheel stationairy it will mark. maybe called a zero turn on pavement but grass is 2 or 3 point turn. I know in some yards today it was a 6 or 7 point to get turned around w/o marking.

have to always keep both wheels moving not spinning at the right speed and you should be ok
Old 09-12-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You really cant do a zero turn on a weak lawn without doing damage. It does work better if you turn the inside tire backwards during the turn to keep the tire rotating. Strong lawn, no problemo.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you're prob "goosing" the self-propel a little too fast and spinning the drive wheel a little. or try doing a 3-point turn. Thats what we have to do with the zero turns when the ground it soft. gotta remember how small those tires are, a lot of times its not the weight of the mower, but how its balanced out. My Standers weigh about 1,000 lbs with my fat a$$ on it, but because of the way its balanced out and the wide tires, it creates less of a footprint than my 21" Toro ProLines do. Even though the machine is lighter, the pizza cutter tires give it a higher PSI footprint on the ground.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Its happened to me too. I just have to slow down and then its all good
Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
you're prob "goosing" the self-propel a little too fast and spinning the drive wheel a little. or try doing a 3-point turn. Thats what we have to do with the zero turns when the ground it soft. gotta remember how small those tires are, a lot of times its not the weight of the mower, but how its balanced out. My Standers weigh about 1,000 lbs with my fat a$$ on it, but because of the way its balanced out and the wide tires, it creates less of a footprint than my 21" Toro ProLines do. Even though the machine is lighter, the pizza cutter tires give it a higher PSI footprint on the ground.

I've personally observed the wheel as it was creating the mark, and it's entirely due to turning it in place. The self-propelled isn't being used during turning.

It sounds like the problem is that the tire isn't wide enough, and that air tires might be necessary. Considering that the machine is significantly heavier than a push mower and it's using the same width tires, it's no wonder that it'd be more noticeably damaging in softer lawns.

I wonder how I can replace the rear tires. Is it even practical since I think it's connected to the self-propelled system?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting a wider tire will just increase the size if the damage. Do what i said earlier or do a 3 point turn. Bigger tires will not help.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yo are turning to fast. try doing a 3 point turn and don't turn so hard.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Some of the small deck zero turns have narrow tires that do make it easier for them to dig into the turf when making a turn. Wider tires will still do it, but not as easily.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

trying pulling back into a slight reverse just prior to turning....its hard to explain but it does work...pull both levers back and then push one foward to turn....this only works on a back and forth pattern....not a square getting smaller and smaller.