Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Slight hi-jack of the thread here.

Okay Lawn Solutions was bought out by Toro. Prior to starting Lawn Solutions, David worked in the power equipment industry for a number of years.

With BOP.... nothing is for certain what will happen. Itís all speculation at this point. We do know from his past posts and company history he has worked in the industry for a long time before starting his own venture.

We know that with the hand off with LS and Toro that was a pitching deck for some time as to who and what and where to get parts, ordering new machines [Red or Green] Toro and Exmark dealers were in the dark..... etc. I have a LS WB aerator 2010 model for the record.

Here is the deal I own three BOP mowers. I already own the critical most likely to break parts from BOP for my Q36 single with the exception of a spare clutch.

How does this affect BOP mower resale? If you owned one and you were trying to sell would you disclose this?

If you were interested in buying a used BOP mower and caught wind of this would still want to buy a used BOP mower? If you proceeded with a a purchase how deep of a discount would you seek?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't think we should really fault these guys for doing what they can to help themselves, their families and their businesses. Don't think they are being disloyal. These guys are entrepreneurs. They have an idea and they run with it. Starting a company takes a different skill set than running one. Another aspect is most of them don't really have the capital to grow their businesses and lack the assets to be able to borrow. So, they will partner with another company with deeper pockets.

Building a company requires a huge amount of time, time away from family. After a while they get burned out dealing with the hassles. Others want to pursue other interests.

Truth be told, if someone offered you a great price for your operation you would probably consider selling out too.

Will BOP/Lawnsolutions be better or worse from their mergers? No one can tell but they will be different.

There is going to be more of this. We should all get used to it and accept it.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i dunno but bop has a green mower. toro is red so a red bop mower just wouldn't look right. perhaps john deere is working with them? they already sell lesco mowers so maybe not.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...s_series.page?

hmm...when someone finds out who let us know.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i dunno but bop has a green mower. toro is red so a red bop mower just wouldn't look right. perhaps john deere is working with them?
Because it is so hard to change the color of the paint when producing the mowers....
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Slight hi-jack of the thread here.

Okay Lawn Solutions was bought out by Toro. Prior to starting Lawn Solutions, David worked in the power equipment industry for a number of years.

With BOP.... nothing is for certain what will happen. Itís all speculation at this point. We do know from his past posts and company history he has worked in the industry for a long time before starting his own venture.

We know that with the hand off with LS and Toro that was a pitching deck for some time as to who and what and where to get parts, ordering new machines [Red or Green] Toro and Exmark dealers were in the dark..... etc. I have a LS WB aerator 2010 model for the record.

Here is the deal I own three BOP mowers. I already own the critical most likely to break parts from BOP for my Q36 single with the exception of a spare clutch.

How does this affect BOP mower resale? If you owned one and you were trying to sell would you disclose this?

If you were interested in buying a used BOP mower and caught wind of this would still want to buy a used BOP mower? If you proceeded with a a purchase how deep of a discount would you seek?

I dont think BOP has ever had a strong resale, we might need to buy a extra one for spare parts.

I wonder if Bop run into finical problems?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
Because it is so hard to change the color of the paint when producing the mowers....
no it's not hard but red mowers are ugly. i like green and orange.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I dont think BOP has ever had a strong resale, we might need to buy a extra one for spare parts.

I wonder if Bop run into finical problems?
“.....This change also ensures your ability to purchase service and repair parts, make warranty claims and to receive technical assistance in the future....“

I think we can infer or deduct from this direct quote is - that without the sale of BOP this would be in jeopardy to some degree...? It takes cash flow to provide all that. What I know about Gary is that he doesn’t walk on water but I do have confidence he will do his best to support the product out there.

I’ve built my mowing business around these mowers. There is nothing else out there that is right at 400 pounds or less in a dual hydro static WB and has such a light foot print. I’ve toyed with the idea of a Wright Stander 32 [no dealers in my area] and a Gravely Stander 34 both weigh more than any of the BOP’s. So many other LCO’s in my market run Walkers and some of my accounts are right next to lawns mowed with Walkers. Even mulching with a BOP leaves a nicer cut. Then again I keep sharp blades etc.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
“.....This change also ensures your ability to purchase service and repair parts, make warranty claims and to receive technical assistance in the future....“

I think we can infer or deduct from this direct quote is - that without the sale of BOP this would be in jeopardy to some degree...? It takes cash flow to provide all that. What I know about Gary is that he doesn’t walk on water but I do have confidence he will do his best to support the product out there.

I’ve built my mowing business around these mowers. There is nothing else out there that is right at 400 pounds or less in a dual hydro static WB and has such a light foot print. I’ve toyed with the idea of a Wright Stander 32 [no dealers in my area] and a Gravely Stander 34 both weigh more than any of the BOP’s. So many other LCO’s in my market run Walkers and some of my accounts are right next to lawns mowed with Walkers. Even mulching with a BOP leaves a nicer cut. Then again I keep sharp blades etc.
Exact, Im happy to hear your having a good experience with the BOP. I had nothing but headaches with my Q36.

That said, my Toro Z & w/b will mulch circles around the bop ANY DAY!.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
Maybe being acquired by a larger company will allow more parts to become available I'm guessing...
I think this is the plan !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
... Iíve built my mowing business around these mowers. ... So many other LCOís in my market run Walkers and some of my accounts are right next to lawns mowed with Walkers. Even mulching with a BOP leaves a nicer cut. ...
Wow, that's interesting !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB