Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think anyone here would turn down an offer that would set them up to provide for their families.

If i'm mowing along and have no intention of doing anything but mowing along but some guy walks up and offers me a briefcase with cash for the company, I'll just get off the mower take the briefcase and walk away.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
I don't think anyone here would turn down an offer that would set them up to provide for their families.

If i'm mowing along and have no intention of doing anything but mowing along but some guy walks up and offers me a briefcase with cash for the company, I'll just get off the mower take the briefcase and walk away.
But then what do you do after? In the long term unless were talking several hundred thousands of dolllars or more it doesn't seem logical for the long term, for the short term, oh yes definitely, been there before and got offered a decent amount for some commercial accounts, but thankfully I made the smart decision and declined and looked ahead.

Now in these guys situation I think were talking about a merger or acquisition that will allow them to mass produce their machines, maybe make them more affordable, not that they are expensive now, and allow a larger marketplace for parts and supplies, and be a better Quick in the long run...
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I think we all would, especially in August.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Depends on how much cash is in the briefcase? If it's enough to start another company in a bigger way then probably so.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
But then what do you do after? In the long term unless were talking several hundred thousands of dolllars or more it doesn't seem logical for the long term, for the short term, oh yes definitely, been there before and got offered a decent amount for some commercial accounts, but thankfully I made the smart decision and declined and looked ahead.

Now in these guys situation I think were talking about a merger or acquisition that will allow them to mass produce their machines, maybe make them more affordable, not that they are expensive now, and allow a larger marketplace for parts and supplies, and be a better Quick in the long run...
We had a major size mowing company in Austin that sold out about 8 years ago for several million. It was a couple partners and they waited the non- compete years and now both have their own lawn business going again. They are not cash poor and they run multiple trucks and the price stuff really really low. Ane why low well they need customers and nothing else so they can sell out again. Trugreen bought them and now they have not only took a lot of the key guys but they might almost run them out of the area.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We had a major size mowing company in Austin that sold out about 8 years ago for several million. It was a couple partners and they waited the non- compete years and now both have their own lawn business going again. They are not cash poor and they run multiple trucks and the price stuff really really low. Ane why low well they need customers and nothing else so they can sell out again. Trugreen bought them and now they have not only took a lot of the key guys but they might almost run them out of the area.
But wouldn't the sale price be not only include customer amount, but also how much profit per customer? 1,000 customers @ an average of $200/Month isn't worth more than 500 Customers @ an average of $500/Month, etc.... Good concept if there's good buyers and well priced customers, etc...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
I think this is probably case.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Being purchased/merging with a larger company would give them a dealer network.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it's probably a deal that will make them grow in size alot faster and be able to sell their mowers in more places rather than just online.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
it's probably a deal that will make them grow in size alot faster and be able to sell their mowers in more places rather than just online.
So much for a mail order mower. If they start selling at dealers they will have to raise their prices and price was the only thing they had going for them.