Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking survey for ALL(new guys, veteran guys, part time guys) the sealcoaters out there.

Hello fellow sealcoaters, i have a burning question i wanted to ask and i am very interested in seeing the outcome of this question!
How many of you guys/gals are door knockers? Going door to door and selling yourself and what part of the country are you in if doing so? Do you have any sucess doing so? Do you suggest doing so? Just any imput or suggestions or comments would help anwser this nagging question ive had for 3 years in buisness.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I have never asked anyone for work. May be just me but I think it makes you look desperate. Do good work and people will call. Even if im in a neiborhood with lots of drives I wont knock on a door people don't like it. I will leave a sign and if they want they're drive sealed they will call or even stop me while I'm sealing a drive and ask for a quote.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

knock, knock , hello sir we were working down the street and had left over material and we can give you a great deal on seal coating ................ Not , thats how the travlers operate , we never knock on doors , we leave a sign on the lawn and let the customer call us
Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I will NEVER do it!! I keep a clean truck and trailer, do spot on work, neat, courteous. Image is very important. Do a good job nice signage and word travels fast. Negative word travels 10 times faster then good does. Anytime you read the paper about the paving SCAMS, they pretty much all start out the same, someone knocks on the door and says I was working in the neighborhood and some some extra material, I'll give you a deal!!!!! Presell the area, then set up for round 2!!! Just my opinion!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

use door hanger put on doors in neighborhood i sold job in
write by hand where we are doing job and that they can get discount if we do their job with other job .will count steps to door and look at cracks and leave brochure and price job , will record price and address if they call so i will have correct info . keep address send post card with price for pre-season sale the next spring .want jobs early so i can hit the ground running . takes a lot of discipline to do this must stay aggressive if you do you can buy the things you want Nice
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im not above door knocking. I do 90% commercial and thats how I get that business.

For residential. You bet Ill knock on doors.

When my guys are on a street doing one driveway, If I can make it over there, Ill knock on every door on the street.

No lies. No "leftover material" No "must have it done now" sales pitch.

Hi

Im Joe. My crew is sealing your neighbors driveway. I wanted to invite you to watch them and see the job they do. I see yours is due to be sealed. Heres an estimate if youre interested. After they finish your neighbors they have some time before the next one if you happen to be ready. If not. We're local and in the neighborhood all the time, just give a call when youre ready.

Especially if its a weekend. I can send the crew out with only one driveway on the schedule. And I can turn that one into 10-15 by the end of the day. And usually have the next day booked up.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I make sure to emphasize that we're local. Established. Do mostly commercial work, places that they know. I give them a nice color estimate, with our website. And go out of my way to let them know we DONT HAVE TO DO IT NOW. But we can......

Even the people who say "no thanks" Once we have done every house surrounding them, will come back outside and say "why not....Youre here...Do mine too"
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Procut, if your not going to do door to door, you'll be sitting home not doing anything. You can't sit down all day long and expect people to call you or check your "fancy" website.

I do the same, go out in a neighborhood were I already have 2-3 jobs booked, turn that into 10-15 jobs at the end of the day. Sometimes it's so easy like procut said, especially on weekends some homeowners will be outside watching you work.
Complete lawn care services
Old 02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It builds on itself. Do 10 in a neighborhood one day. Thats 10 yard signs for people to drive by on their way home. Youll get calls from that. Then you hit the neighbors of those 10. Then others in the neighborhood.

I had neighborhoods that other sealcoaters couldnt get into. I was so aggressive, that I took them over and if there was a house to be sealed, my company did it.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On all of my residential drive calls My wife or I will ask the home owner if any others in the neighborhood that would like a quote? We also inform them of discount if they are on the same block. But when I started out I did knock on some doors and it seemed to not work out well at all in most area's. Yard signs, quality and our reputation is what gets us most of my residential. Commercial work come's from trusted contractors phone book and our website.

Tags
door knocking , new guys , survey , veteran guys