Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag V ride pricing?

They sent me an e-mail 20% off? January and Febuary special pricing. Has anyone gotten dealer quotes?
48 and 52 inch Scag Pro-V's
48 and 36 inch Great Dane hydro WB's
2-21in Honda HRC 216 hydro
Echo Hedge trimmer HC-150
2- Shindaiwa multi tool M2510
2-Hitachi string trimmers
Shindaiwa BP blower 854
Robin BP blower
Shindaiwa HT 2510 30in single sided trimmers
Echo Blower ES-230
Stihl Chain Saw 250
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJWLAWNCARE View Post
They sent me an e-mail 20% off? January and Febuary special pricing. Has anyone gotten dealer quotes?
Around $7000 for a 52. 60in about $400 more 48 about $6800. Great deals for sure. Exmark should do the same or they'll lose a lot of Red fans to Orange. They are loosing me as I type.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I was quoted $6,020.00 last week for a 36"
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

That was with a mulch kit.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
Around $7000 for a 52. 60in about $400 more 48 about $6800. Great deals for sure. Exmark should do the same or they'll lose a lot of Red fans to Orange. They are loosing me as I type.
i like the v ride's and if i was gonna get a stander i'd probably get one of those but the prices for those things (and all standers in general) are just too high. i got my 54" ztr for $7900...why would i pay almost the same amount for a stander that has a smaller deck, goes slower, holds less fuel, and has less horsepower? just saying. to me standers should be $5000 or less or they are of no interest to me. i guess that's why i have no plans on ever buying one.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i like the v ride's and if i was gonna get a stander i'd probably get one of those but the prices for those things (and all standers in general) are just too high. i got my 54" ztr for $7900...why would i pay almost the same amount for a stander that has a smaller deck, goes slower, holds less fuel, and has less horsepower? just saying. to me standers should be $5000 or less or they are of no interest to me. i guess that's why i have no plans on ever buying one.
I'll say thats your opinion. A vride's speed will keep up with alot of ztr's. If the Ztr does not have 16cc pumps it will be as fast but still be lighter.

This is what I will say. Based on weight, size of deck, and typical yard for the deck size this is what I think a person should buy.

21" to 36" walkbehind mower, usually small tight or gated yards. Lightwieght for many turn's and reverse.

48" to 52" stand on mower, small tight to medium yards. Midwieght and easy to look around the whole machine for objects.

61" to 72" rider, mid to large yards. Weight not much of a issue and speed comes into play.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
I'll say thats your opinion. A vride's speed will keep up with alot of ztr's. If the Ztr does not have 16cc pumps it will be as fast but still be lighter.
i'm sorry it's not opinion, it's fact. you are wrong. my mower has top speed of 10.5 mph with 13cc pumps. the v-ride 48"-52" goes 8.5mph top speed. (i was comparing my 54" to the 52" v-ride) the 61" v-ride does go 11mph but why would you want a 61" stander mower? if the lawn is big enough for a 61" mower then you aren't gonna want to be standing up for the amount of time it takes to mow it. you wanna stand up for 2-3 hrs on a lawn? why not get a 61" cheetah that goes 16mph? a stander is a little lighter yes but why does that matter? i haven't had any issues on small, medium, or large lawns with my heavier ztr. i dont' cut in the rain or when the lawn is wet, soggy though which you shouldn't do anyways no matter how light your mower is.

Last edited by weeze; 01-21-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the only stander size that makes sense to me is a 36 or a 48. they would be nice to have for smaller yards. those yards where you are done in 30min or less. i wouldn't pay $6k-$7k for them though. maybe the $4k-$5k range would be more appropriate. if i was gonna pay $7k i would go ahead and pay $10k and get a 61" scag cheetah especially since they have 0% for 48months (4years) going right now.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
i'm sorry it's not opinion, it's fact. you are wrong. my mower has top speed of 10.5 mph with 13cc pumps. the v-ride 48"-52" goes 8.5mph top speed. (i was comparing my 54" to the 52" v-ride) the 61" v-ride does go 11mph but why would you want a 61" stander mower? if the lawn is big enough for a 61" mower then you aren't gonna want to be standing up for the amount of time it takes to mow it. you wanna stand up for 2-3 hrs on a lawn? why not get a 61" cheetah that goes 16mph? a stander is a little lighter yes but why does that matter? i haven't had any issues on small, medium, or large lawns with my heavier ztr. i dont' cut in the rain or when the lawn is wet, soggy though which you shouldn't do anyways no matter how light your mower is.
Try driving the two side by side. My oldest turf tiger was rated at 10mph and the vride keeps right up with it even with the rpms up'd.

I had once the same mind set as you about using a rider compared to a stander or w/b. Once I added a vride I noticed why they are used compared to riders in the same mid deck sizes 48" to 52". My guys actually prefer them to riders. Also 2 to 3 hrs is not bad on one but typically a 61" rider fits that situation better.

The only reason I see the 48 to 52 deck being a rider is if it is your only mower and you need it for bagging. That is the only drawback on a stander is the bagging situation.

For your jd the 13cc pump is a oddball size for the most part. Most mfg go from the 10cc to 16cc pumps in the past. Which was my point of the speeds also.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I would have to disagree on power. My 52" Vride has a 26hp FX. Further, I got this for $7000 at 0 for two years. For me, $800 less than a ZTR is worth it. I need to get on/off quite a bit so for me, I like it. Speed is irrelevant. It's a stander - you don't buy a stander to go superfast. Plus, even my Ferris didn't cut great maxed out. I guess I don't understand why you claim standers have smaller decks. Get whatever deck size you want. Although anything above 52" clearly dictates a ZTR. Don't discount the vision aspect of standers also. Price, sight, and on/off made me want a stander. I would like a MOD or OCDC though at least on my 36" stander.

2012 F150FX Scab
2011 Scag 52" Vride
(3) Craftsman 42" riders
(1) John Deer 318 not working
(1) older Agrifab tow leaf sucker-upper, works good
(1) 2011 Echo Long shaft hedge trimmer
(1) 07' Honda single stage snow blower
(1) 2010 18" Echo chainsaw
(1) 2012 Husqvarna 326LS trimmer
(1) 2011 Ariens Pro 32" snow thrower