Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris

Mainly Helena but am thinking of using a smaller company because they seem more helpful. I will be using sedge hammer.

I am hoping to get a used skid sprayer this year because I am worried about the weed control. This program is a base program for me with hopes to upsell another treatment or two and aeration and overseeding. Who do you recomend to buy from?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Frass, I actually recommend this same type of program to people that want to be cheap but get some sort of result. I don't offer service calls for them though just because some will try and take advantage. Around here nutsedge doesnt pop until June or so, so it would be a weed that doesnt get sprayed. I would invest in a decent spray tank as these lawns will have more weeds per app than a 5-7 app program.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I use Helena Chemical as well. I have found that the price is unbeatable and the service is second to none. Anytime I have a question or need someone to check a lawn they always make time.

I would recommend putting down less N in March because of the amount of mowing time it causes. I actually only do broadleaf and pre-emergent in March and then do 1lb. of N in May after the initial growth surge. But whatever works best for you.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Picking up a 200 lesco sprayer today. Getting it used. I hope its a good deal. Seems like the more liquid I use the cheaper my costs will be.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Riggle-

I haven't done any soil tests but I will be throughout the year on some of the lawns. I'm trying to learn as much about this stuff as I can. It seems like dealers say one thing and the pros say something else. I'm thinking this business is all about experience and knowledge of chemicals and costs.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealers are smart about the products they are selling. However, they are selling what ever they are pushing at that time. Retaining Experience and Knowledge is key for running smoothly and is the difference in a company that will last and one that wont.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Philllie

I like your website. How does advertising basic pricing work for you? I'm thinking of doing that this year. Does it ever cause you problems?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I put starting at prices usually. I think it works better for me. Im guessing your talking about the pics of my postcards under specials. I havent done it for lawn care but I may try it in the spring. Thanks for the compliment on the site but I have a lot more to do to it, have some errors to fix and some pages to finish.