Register free!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rodney Nice to see you found the right person to do the job that would be the hardiest part. It's hard to believe you never had a secretary to help you.

Good luck
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
And to think Rodney, a couple of years ago you were seriously thinking about getting out of the lawn care business!
Barry,

I was burnt out and tired of working!

Funny enough that was the point in my career that I figured it was either time to get out...or grow!

I decided to grow and have never looked back.

Just as Whoop said...it isn't about money but the time you gain for yourself, your family and just enjoying life.
I used to work 14-16 hours a day and have no life. I probably make the same money now that I did 4 years ago...but I start at 7:30 most days and am in the house by 5 or 6. You can't put a price on family and enjoying life.

You know I was thinking about this thread throughout the day and it just keeps coming to me.

I have heard so many people say about others "Boy he sure works hard...he is a great business man"

I think it is more about working smart then hard when running a business.

I think a lot of people have it all wrong.

It isn't how hard you work (although that is very important) as it is how smart you work.

I must give all that credit to my Grandpa for teaching me that.

Last edited by rcreech; 01-23-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The biggest mistake of most Sole Proprietor is the Ego of not asking for business help.

http://www.score.org/ and the http://www.sba.gov/ are free sources of great business advice. Business is business and the principles inter change. A true Businessman can go into any business and survive.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

The biggest mistake of most Sole Proprietor is the Ego of not asking for business help.

http://www.score.org/ and the http://www.sba.gov/ are free sources of great business advice. Business is business and the principles inter change. A true Businessman can go into any business and survive.

I agree with you Ric.

But I do think and believe that if a person has a better understanding of the products and services they have a clear advantage in running a business.

If I was to have started a vehicle repair shop or a heating and air business I would have been at a huge disadvantage in starting a business.

But with an agronomy degree and my turf classes I had a clear cut advantage over most coming right out of the gate.

Agree with you...but just feel that one must have some knowledge and background in their area of business to have a true competitive advantage.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
But I do think and believe that if a person has a better understanding of the products and services they have a clear advantage in running a business.

If I was to have started a vehicle repair shop or a heating and air business I would have been at a huge disadvantage in starting a business.

But with an agronomy degree and my turf classes I had a clear cut advantage over most coming right out of the gate.

Agree with you...but just feel that one must have some knowledge and background in their area of business to have a true competitive advantage.
Have you read "The E-Myth" ? I'm going through it right now. And, interestingly enough, he says the exact opposite. He explains that the MORE you know about the technical process of whatever your company does, the less likely you are to succeed. Someone who doesn't know how to do the technical work must focus on making the COMPANY work. Whereas shmucks like me who insist on doing the work to get it exactly right, etc, neglect the BUSINESS operations because we're enslaved to the technical crap.

You might be an exception to the rule, but the guy who wrote that book is DEAD ON. I think EVERYONE who owns a business (or has a business that owns THEM) should read it. I just keep turning the pages and saying to myself, "that's me... THAT'S me... that's TOTALLY me..."
Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
Have you read "The E-Myth" ? I'm going through it right now. And, interestingly enough, he says the exact opposite. He explains that the MORE you know about the technical process of whatever your company does, the less likely you are to succeed. Someone who doesn't know how to do the technical work must focus on making the COMPANY work. Whereas shmucks like me who insist on doing the work to get it exactly right, etc, neglect the BUSINESS operations because we're enslaved to the technical crap.

You might be an exception to the rule, but the guy who wrote that book is DEAD ON. I think EVERYONE who owns a business (or has a business that owns THEM) should read it. I just keep turning the pages and saying to myself, "that's me... THAT'S me... that's TOTALLY me..."
Makes sense!

I see both sides.

Running a business is really simple math..but I believe it does also take some technical skills. If I were to talk about electric or vehicle mechanics it wouldn't take a customer long to figure out I don't have a clue.

I would just say "I don't know I will have to get back to you on that" to every question they would ask.

LOL

I am gonna have to buy this thing now unless someone wants to cut me a deal on a used copy!

Last edited by rcreech; 01-24-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I am gonna have to buy this thing now unless someone wants to cut me a deal on a used copy!
I bought it on half.com for just a few bucks. Here's a link. Looks like you can grab a used copy for $1.99 + S/H.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That's why you hire a knowledgeable person to talk to customers

Quote:
Makes sense!

I see both sides.

Running a business is really simple math..but I believe it does also take some technical skills. If I were to talk about electric or vehicle mechanics it wouldn't take a customer long to figure out I don't have a clue.

I would just say "I don't know I will have to get back to you on that" to every question they would ask.

LOL

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
That's why you hire a knowledgeable person to talk to customers

Posted via Mobile Device
Hello

Salesmen should be Both knowledgeable and Interested in selling a service plan that is deliverable. My main point is NOT OVER SELLING A JOB WITH PROMISES THAT CAN"T BE DELIVERED. I believe one of the biggest mistakes made by young salesmen trying to get the commission.

Back to the "The E-Myth". Working ON your business and not IN your business doesn't require technical knowledge. It does require People handling skills and Good Business sense. I have a degree in Horticulture with a few Business courses. If I had it to do over I would of been a business major, not a Horticulture Major. A good businessman can always hire technical people.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Hello

Salesmen should be Both knowledgeable and Interested in selling a service plan that is deliverable. My main point is NOT OVER SELLING A JOB WITH PROMISES THAT CAN"T BE DELIVERED. I believe one of the biggest mistakes made by young salesmen trying to get the commission.

Back to the "The E-Myth". Working ON your business and not IN your business doesn't require technical knowledge. It does require People handling skills and Good Business sense. I have a degree in Horticulture with a few Business courses. If I had it to do over I would of been a business major, not a Horticulture Major. A good businessman can always hire technical people.

See your points!