Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

free dog treats, here I come

Well spoken my friend. I'm feeling the same way you do. But have questiions:

Calling ahead:
Cool deal, but it adds business expense & it annoys some folks. I prefer routine maintenance without being bothered. (just do the job so I don't have to monkey with it or get annoying phone calls)

Dog bones: This is a liability I prefer not to get involved with. Ever get a complaint saying your April fertilizer caused the dog to die in December?

Home shows/trade shows: The return on these is weak at best IMO. Too many times they are left-wing liberals who scan these places for freebees, etc. Plus the fact they are usually retired welfare recipients with limited budgets for maintaining their own property and other responsibilities.

Not getting involved with "day-to-day operations".
If this is the case, why are you not caring???? Think about it. I'm missing the logic on this one.

Ric suggested a "business degree" is more important than a "hort degree". I understand his point of view, but.....

I have a 4-year "business admin degree", yet it has provided little value for me as well as our current business. My hort degree was a little bit more practible, duh....

"Competive advantage".........Ours has been & always will be the fact that the owner still runs the business. (hort degree with over 30 years first-hand experience). Nobody else in our market can match this.

No need to advertise much eiither, cuz word-of-mouth has served us well.

Bottom line I see on this thread is "Marketing" vs "reputation". I'll take "reputation" over marketing anyday of the week.

my 2 cents.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But....

This should be good! I see deleted post coming soon...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

rodney, class act of a thread buddy. kudos
Old 01-26-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
rodney, class act of a thread buddy. kudos
Thanks Grassman!

Larry,

I am gonna keep this short and sweet.

Here is another perfectly good thread that you have to come into and "go against the grain". Your business model may work for you and that is great, but there are other ways to "skin a cat".

If I remember correctly you are in your mid 50's and lawn care is your sole income. If you want to work sun up to sun down that is your deal.

I am 35, have a new wife and two beautiful young daughters I want to watch grow up. I also have 2 other very successful business's and a Township Trustee and my goal is to be running for County Commissioner in 2 years.

I am trying to get my business's to the place where they are ran by others and technically run on auto pilot.

I guess what I am saying is...I have goals and plans in life and when I am in my mid 50's as you are...I want my business's working for me.

I don't want to be married to my business til the day I die!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well said Rodney nice too see young guys thinking outside the box and having goals. because when we stop having goals might as well mail it in. Being in a rut and saying I have to do this, this way all my life, is sad.

You got it going on man keep it up and good luck.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Too many times they are left-wing liberals who scan these places for freebees, etc.

Larry, there are only 5 of them in Iowa & they all showed up at your booth?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Too many times they are left-wing liberals who scan these places for freebees, etc.

Larry, there are only 5 of them in Iowa & they all showed up at your booth?
LOL

The people we met at our first show were class acts.

Show = $1200

New Shirts and costs for show = $360

New Backdrop = $2000 (but divided between 3 shows and can be used later)

Labor = $240 (the rest were all salaried hours)

Took less then 9 customers at $300 a lawn to break even on Gross.

Right now we are at 27 closed, still have several more to even look at plus some pretty nice seeding jobs.

One lawn alone was $750 just for apps.

You tell me if we wasted our time.

The thing one has to keep in mind is it's not only closing sales but it is also branding. We want people to see our name and get used to it.

Plus the 27 new accounts have neighbors, friends and family members.
That in itself is HUGE!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Bottom line I see on this thread is "Marketing" vs "reputation". I'll take "reputation" over marketing anyday of the week.

my 2 cents.
Larry, is that why you run TV commercials??? to build your reputation?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say that is a huge step to let go, but seems to be necessary. I have said for years that I am working in and not on my business but have never done anything about it.

well, I am now, making some hard personell decisions to get myself back in the right direction.

I am at the point of being neither here nor there and have been for 2-3 years now. That is, I am too big yet not big enough, some of you can appreciate this I am sure....its either time to take it to the next level or start to shut certain aspects of the business down and go back to solo...
Old 01-26-2012, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Larry, is that why you run TV commercials??? to build your reputation?

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say that is a huge step to let go, but seems to be necessary. I have said for years that I am working in and not on my business but have never done anything about it.

well, I am now, making some hard personell decisions to get myself back in the right direction.

I am at the point of being neither here nor there and have been for 2-3 years now. That is, I am too big yet not big enough, some of you can appreciate this I am sure....its either time to take it to the next level or start to shut certain aspects of the business down and go back to solo...

I thought the same thing but didn't want to break his post down. He has ran two commercials that together cost more then I have even spent on marketing.

What you just said is exactly why I started this thread!

Guys need to know its ok to watch more and not work so much.

It was very hard for me to do.

But let me tell you....that although it is hard to give up the leads, once you do and figure out how awesome it is you won't go back.

I no longer wake up at 2:00 am in a sweat worrying about things. I used to wake up and just start working because I couldn't sleep. I would be up a 3:00 writing down all my thoughts and what I needed to do the next day so I wouldn't forget.

Now....life is good!

Get a plan together, hire a stud and you will see what I am talking about.

Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good Thread Rodney! Thanks for sharing..