Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Started with a 21" lawnboy that would get pushed around the neighborhood or dropped off by mom or dad...got to be 15 and dad would let me take the truck by myself to lawns in the neighborhood. Got to be 16 and got a loan for a 36" ferris walk behind. Ran that a few years and got an old ferris 48" walk behind. Got 0% interest on an exmark ztr a few years later and just added a new 52" ferris walk behind last year and an 18' enclosed trailer. Now only 1 class away from my bachelor's and have a halfway decent business built up. Only thing I wish I could go back to from the earliest years is how easy it was to get new accounts back before everybody and their mother became involved in this industry.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykayel View Post
I just restarted my part time buisness last year (I used to do this part time in highschool). This time I bought a used 40" toro hydro with 140 hours on it for about half the cost of new. There are plenty of deals out there for used small walk behinds. Commercial equipment is the only way to go wheather it be used or new. A new garden tractor designed for homeowner use will crap out on you quickly and just be a waste of money and a cause of frustration, and it will take you twice as long to cust with one vs with a commercial mower. They just slowly go as the homeowner using one of these isn't looking to speed through their yard.

Lets just say that you have 30 accounts of just average sized residential yards. Say each of these is 1/3 of the size yard that a "garden tractor" is designed for. So each week you would be putting the wear and tear on it equal to about 1/3 of a year that a homeowner would have for personal use. So over the course of a year you'll put about 10 years worth of use on it. Does the average garden tractor last 10 years?

The same goes for handhelds, get a commercial grade trimmer/blower. I like the echo trimmers and the SRM-230 which is about $300 is a good trimmer that will take the abuse of commercial use.
Great addvice! Very true!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot to say that I have a 36" eXmark WB hydro with only 135 hours. Also have a nice trailer 6x14 for sale to if any one is looking.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

22' weedeater (push) push mower and a broom no trimmers or blowers
stihl 550 blowers
stihl manual bp sprayers
Stihl handhelds
Kobalt tools
6x12 trailer
2007 f150 4x4 step side
Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased a Snow Dogg plow for my Dodge Ram because we didn't want to shovel our 200' driveway. We did plowing for a few people and after winter the clients asked if we wanted to mow for them. So we decided we would mow for a few people.

I started out with a Dodge Ram, a 22" personal push mower, old Ryobi string trimmer, and a hand held Home Lite blower. We started our first mowing contract in May.

By June we purchased a 22" Toro home push mower because our old one blew on us. A few weeks after that we purchased a 42" Toro Zero Turn. 2 weeks after that we purchased a 5'x8' trailer. We used that stuff till August and purchased a new 21" Commercial Toro push mower and a 7'x12' trailer. We also up graded to a 2003 Chevy Silverado.

In the middle times of all this we purchased an Echo commercial string trimmer, 2 Echo back pack blowers, Echo hedge trimmer, and odds and ends hand tools.

We do snow plowing and Ice control in the winter months.

We now have multiple lawn contracts already for this year and signing up clients every week. Our goal this year is to have 50 accounts for the summer.

We also updated as far as computer software and electronics for our business. Our business is owned and operated by myself, my wife, and a part time employee. My wife and I do all the work both in the field and office.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

started when i was 19...snapper 6hp 21" self prop. mower...crapsman edger,blower and weedeater...did 5 small lawns a day for first year...then went to a 36" bunton with sulky...25 yrs later we have 5 crews (only using 3 at this time)...vast majority of customers have been with us more than 12-15 yrs...now altogether the 3 crews can service 60 + accts. per day....
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

i started with a 46 inch craftsman home tractor i picked up from an estate being sold for 100 bucks a push mower....and dropped the money on a blower hedge trimmers and echo straight shaft...
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

i actually made it through my first 2 seasons like that and am now with to many contracts and not enough time for a slow garden tractor its time to upgrade...but i made due with what i had and worked my butt off to buy a new mower...now i can pick up more lawns.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started out at 13 years old with my Father's Toro Super Recycler SR-21SE and my Father also had an Echo split boom weedwacker/edger. I would mow our 1/2 acre property, and my two neighbors 1/4 acre properties for the first two season's and then it grew from their. When I was 16 I messed up the trans in the Super Recycler so we got a new 2007 Toro model (one of the top 22" models), but I had a few things go bad with that mower. In 2010 I bought a JD46 22" mower and let me tell you, that thing is a piece of ****, I still use it though. Im told JD doesn't even make them, Snapper or someone just sprays green paint on them. But they have way too many plastic parts. In 2011 I was given and older Exmark Metro 36" mower to use and I bought a Toro t-bar 36" gear drive mower this season. I have all Echo equipment except a Husqvarna 130BT backpack blower which I am happy with but will upgrade next season.

-Michael
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I first started out like above at 16 but i had worked a lot before hand and bought a jet ski for like $1500 i think it was... ended up selling the jet ski for $2700... bought a old rusted out snapper 52", 5x8 trailer, used my step dad's trimmer and blower... went to the flea market for hand tools lol... traded my car in for a truck... then it all came together...

now 5-6 years lateer im trying to restart lol