Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greg I also noticed that one of the pages is not used anymore. The one that ends in landscape is no longer used and not sure how it's still even there?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problem, I like helping people learn.

THe size of the images should get resized down to what you are showing them on your web page.

For the top left logo, you are showing it at 403 wide by 148 tall
You use the same size on the "About Us" page in the middle, however I would start with the full size image again, fill the while background with black (to match the page backgroud) then resize it. It will help the background bleed and merge with colors better.

-Greg
Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greg,

Since I have little knowledge about a lot of this what could I use (progarm wise) to resize the image? Is there something usable on most computers or do you need a special program. Thanks

Feel free to also contact by email. Again really appreciate the help....really
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The one page you mentioned is no longer showing up for me, so it is cleared up now ;-)

The best (but a tad complicated) program for images that is free is called "gimp". However, unless you have played around with graphics programs a bit, it can seem overwhelming. I just did a check on one of the forums I'm on for other free alternatives that are simple to use. One that is recomended is Paint.Net. I just installed a copy and it seems decent. You can download it from here: http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html use link at the top right, the site displays ads in the middle of the page not related to the actual download.

Once downloaded, open it up, click on the installer that gets listed, follow the install, let it do the defaults.

Once you run it, (hint maximize the window, I hate little bitty windows) open up the logo you have, in this program, click IMAGE => RESIZE then get rid of the checkmark for "Maintain Aspect Ratio", then enter the dimensions I posted earlier under the "pixel size" boxes, then click OK. Your image is now the size you wanted to display it at, but don't just save it

Do FILE -> SAVE AS and then pick where you want to save it, and for "Save as Type", choose PNG. For photos, you use .JPG, and for non photos, use PNG (instead of GIF). Now when you click SAVE, you have options that come up, it should be "Auto Detect" for top left, go ahead and hit OK

Now, the downside, you have to change each of your pages to use this image instead of the .gif, but this has the transparency saved properly, so you shouldn't get the while border on the about us page, and in both locations the edges should be more smooth. (and the size of the file is closer to half the size!)

A lot to try, but the more you do it and work with things, the easier it becomes.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also, I would recommend using this program to re-do your photos of your work, mainly anything that has lines (brickwork, siding on the house), (when you go to save as a .jpg, the final option will be a slider that defaulted to 95 for me, I'd give a try at 80 or 85)

Try the LandscapeMaintenance0001-155x88.jpg (start with the largest size you have) and resize it down to 155x88 and save it out, you should see that siding no longer looks like it has some strange curved pattern to it.

-Greg
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the help. I used my Canon software that came with my DSLR and resized a lot of the images. I thought I had published it last night but I guess either I didn't or forgot to. Definitely resizing the images resulted in clearer and lest distorted ones. Now the work on the portfolio pages. I think instead of having each picture open to a larger one I may just make a couple more pages with larger images. Is there a slide show type viewer I can out into Sitebuilder? I'm horrible with and code or things like that.

Do you have examples of any page descriptions (doesnt necessarily need to be landscaping). I just tried to write in descriptions with common landscape terms. Should each page be a unique description too?

I did use that validator you sent a link to and of course I'm in the red categordy. Even worse is I have know idea what any of those listings mean or what to do about them. Maybe I'll try and see if any of my friends who know this stuff can help. But this is clarifying up things a bit. Your help is so greatly appreciated, really.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice site. That ben Franklin quote is one of my favorites. Makes me homesick for Grand Island.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Nice site. That ben Franklin quote is one of my favorites. Makes me homesick for Grand Island.
Thanks. I actually changed some stuff, thanks to Greg for pointing out some problems, on the site but forgot to publish it last night.
From Grand Island?

Last edited by MDLawn; 01-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Thanks. I actually changed some stuff, thanks to Greg for pointing out some problems, on the site but forgot to publish it last night.
From Grand Island?
Born and raised class of 85. My father still lives there. I go back a dozen times a year for deer hunting, skiing and boating. Real wings since everbody down here seems to screw them up. Catch a Bills or Sabres game. Good times.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Born and raised class of 85. My father still lives there. I go back a dozen times a year for deer hunting, skiing and boating. Real wings since everbody down here seems to screw them up. Catch a Bills or Sabres game. Good times.
Well at least you visit! Move down there for the business? Sorry don't mean to pry.