Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a non-code question. When I view my website from my iphone4s some of the elements do not show us such as the black backgrounds on some of the pages. Any reason for this?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is a code question.....

I am assuming you are talking about the ContactUs page. In Chrome and Safari, this page's black background doesn't display.

Here you are up against a wall, as you are most likely trapped by the limitations of Site Builder, as, well it is putting out some pretty bloated code for your page. In order to figure out how to change it will require a little tweaking, but first before looking at that, what type editing can you do on your site (ie, does it give you the option to mess with the actual source code? I know you can always do that, but I don't want to send you down a path that will just break the next time you use sitebuilder)

If you want to play with the settings there, give Google Chrome a download to test your site in, once you get it displaying correctly there, it will most likely be fine in Safari (iPhone).

-Greg
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there better website software that wont break my bank? If so would I be able to transfer the domain and website name to it?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For anyone else looking I am still editing some things so there are a couple of errors and non matching titles that I need to fix.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, sorry was out for a bit (and will be running back out again).

Sadly, anything decent will run a little bit of money. I know 1&1 for a while did offer a free license to Dreamweaver CS4. A lot of visual (WYSIWYG) editors, especially cheaper ones, make some ugly code. (Hint, front page or having any MS office program make a page, run for the hills!)

Are you willing to work with code, or do you prefer to get a template set up and then just edit actual page content?

-Greg
Old 01-24-2012, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8872 View Post
Hi, sorry was out for a bit (and will be running back out again).

Sadly, anything decent will run a little bit of money. I know 1&1 for a while did offer a free license to Dreamweaver CS4. A lot of visual (WYSIWYG) editors, especially cheaper ones, make some ugly code. (Hint, front page or having any MS office program make a page, run for the hills!)

Are you willing to work with code, or do you prefer to get a template set up and then just edit actual page content?

-Greg
Code = foreign language.

I made everything on my own, or at least took a template and erased everything to make my own set up. My main concern is being able to be found regularly on searches. But sometimes it seems you need to pay a little for some help to get a better rating. I know the content is important as a first impression but usually thats only your "home" page. You have to be in the game in order to have a chance, sitting on the sidelines not being found with searches is like opening a business and not advertising. No one knows you're in business.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Greg, if it hasn't changed in the last month, 1&1 offers DW4 with their pre-paid Business Windows hosting plans and above. NetObjects Fusion (can't believe it still exists) for lesser plans.

/Cheers from Upper Arlington Market District, where you can often find me grinding away.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good to hear. DW once set up and used to it is pretty good program. Has some bloat, but not too bad. The big trick is getting the template set up right, so that you can edit the "content areas" of pages without accidentally messing up other sections (that and you can edit the template and it will update your sub pages for you.

Off topic, what area is the UA Market District? I moved to UA from Akron area last year, still learning things. I'm behind the Kroger's on Henderson.

-Greg
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted a reply to your profile, Greg.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Updated some things, added some, added a couple videos (that need sound). This stuff isnt easy and unfortunately the yahoo sitebuilder is limited in its HTML editing not allowing you to change things. Now I know why people get paid to do this!!