Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a mac as I do, I don't think you can save customer specific prices like on gopher. On pc however, you can apparently go into preferences somehow and check "price levels" for different services and assign those levels to each customer. This is what I was told last night. Hope I was misinformed about the mac thing or hopefully I can get a refund for the QB I purchased online yesterday. Entering each price manually is a joke. I loved how gopher would allow each service to be saved at each customers individual price. You could just print invoices with only having to enter dates and services, no looking up prices. You could also have different hourly rates for each customer or for different services. I don't know if this is possible with QB either.

Not trying to highjack, just some of my QB concerns.
QB seems like a good program other this.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC2000 View Post
So I got it up and running. I think this is something that is really going to help me streamline my business. I got the email going so I can email invoices, Im having a payment button added to my website through Intuit and overall Im pretty happy with QB.

The only question I have is how do I seperate what each customer pays? On Gopher I could put in customer X pays X amount for mowing and at the end of the week I would input my schedule for that week and whatever I charged a certain customer would pop up.

Can I do that on QB or do I have to manually enter the charge?
Under "item", add each customers name instead of add services, then add a new "item" that is a service for that customer, but select the box to make it a "sub item" and choose the customer that you want it to be a sub item of and it will be save at what ever price you choose for that customer and you can save descriptions too. You have add a new service item for each service as a sub item for each customer, Huh? Anyway that is the only way I can figure out. Price levels will work the same way but Ive confirmed that feature is not available for Mac.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildLake View Post
Under "item", add each customers name instead of add services, then add a new "item" that is a service for that customer, but select the box to make it a "sub item" and choose the customer that you want it to be a sub item of and it will be save at what ever price you choose for that customer and you can save descriptions too. You have add a new service item for each service as a sub item for each customer, Huh? Anyway that is the only way I can figure out. Price levels will work the same way but Ive confirmed that feature is not available for Mac.
Thanks.

Im not a computer guy but can you explain why it wouldnt work MAC's but it would for PC's?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC2000 View Post
Thanks.

Im not a computer guy but can you explain why it wouldnt work MAC's but it would for PC's?
What I just explained will work on Macs. Price level is a different feature that is not on the Mac version. Not sure why not or how exactly the price level feature works but if you have a Mac you can do as I explained above. I'm new to Mac and qb but I guess I will use the method in my last post. Once all of you items(customers) and sub items(services) are set up it is very similar to gopher
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
What I just explained will work on Macs. Price level is a different feature that is not on the Mac version. Not sure why not or how exactly the price level feature works but if you have a Mac you can do as I explained above. I'm new to Mac and qb but I guess I will use the method in my last post. Once all of you items(customers) and sub items(services) are set up it is very similar to gopher
Posted via Mobile Device
The price level feature that your refering to will not add individual price level to an invoice. If you assign a $50 price level and then charge 2 mowings at $45 each, then you will get a message, " the current price level for this customer is $50, do you wish to proceed?" something of the sort. It is just a warning.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So adding customer names as items and using services as the sub item for each "customer/item" works really well. The only problem is that it looks weird on the invoice. Solution is to open an invoice and select the invoice template, then edit template. You can then select to make the "item"column not show up on invoice. You will however need to put the service description on each service sub item for each customer.That will be what shows up on the invoice for the service. I also checked the boxed for "serviced" in the edit template menu. That allows you to add a date for each service on the invoice. Takes some time to setup but I currently have it running almost identical to gopher. I can probably help if anyone who has questions.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Advice on switching to QBs

Get QB, it will do everything you need to do. Use the payroll and CC features. However, take the time (and I mean time) to learn QB thoroughly. Be ready to commit, long term, to the QB way of doing things.

If you are the type that will have a heartburn about data security and worry about where Intuit is storing you files out there on the ďcloudĒ, you may want to reconsider. Iím just saying.

Bottom line Ė I like QB. I use it almost exclusively. Thatís just me . . . I can do the books old school or new school or no school. But, I know you guys donít want to take a lifetime to learn this stuff like I did, nor should you have to, running your business is first priority.

Take care~
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
So adding customer names as items and using services as the sub item for each "customer/item" works really well. The only problem is that it looks weird on the invoice. Solution is to open an invoice and select the invoice template, then edit template. You can then select to make the "item"column not show up on invoice. You will however need to put the service description on each service sub item for each customer.That will be what shows up on the invoice for the service. I also checked the boxed for "serviced" in the edit template menu. That allows you to add a date for each service on the invoice. Takes some time to setup but I currently have it running almost identical to gopher. I can probably help if anyone who has questions.
No need to go through all of that hassle. I have QB for Mac and simply create an item for each of my mowing customers. For example "Mow Jones" In the item template I can give a specific price for that customer and a description of the work.

From then on every time a type in "Mow Jones" the description of work and price automatically appear on the invoice.

There's even an auto set up when you get a new customer. Just type in the customer's name in the item portion of the invoice and it will automatically ask you to set up that item (price ect..)

I do use sub categories to keep track of what percentage of jobs I'm doing. For instance I have sub categories of mowing, clean ups, hardscapes, sod ect... That way I know exactly what jobs I'm doing.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sounds like a similar end result. I guess Im anal about my invoices and how I input data. Also I have dozens of services for some of my commercial accounts. Using the sub item option keeps all of that customers services with that customer. I will likely use your method for the mow only accounts. I hated having the name and service as the listed "item" on invoices, but you can hide the "item" and just display the item descriptions on the invoice. Looks perfect and works just like the Gopher Im used to.
Thanks.

Also I love the customization options for invoices. I was freaking at first but have caught on and really like QB for Mac.