Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just emailed my first invoice for the year for a mulch job I did. I gotta say, buying Quick Books and utilizing it properly may have been the smartest thing I have done so far in 12 years of business. I have a feeling that not only is this going to save me a ton of money but its going to make my life easier and really streamline my business.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been using Quickbooks Pro for over 10 years now and for the first time this year using Quickbooks Pro 2012 I am scanning all my vendors invoices into Quickbooks and attaching the pdf file to the payment. No more file cabinets full of receipts, bills and statements. Company file gets backed up on a thumb drive, to intuit daily and my CPA quarterly, I love it !!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I have been using Quickbooks Pro for over 10 years now and for the first time this year using Quickbooks Pro 2012 I am scanning all my vendors invoices into Quickbooks and attaching the pdf file to the payment. No more file cabinets full of receipts, bills and statements. Company file gets backed up on a thumb drive, to intuit daily and my CPA quarterly, I love it !!!

How do you scan them? Does QB offer something like that or are you using an outside product?

I was thinking about getting something like this.

http://www.neat.com/solutions/neat-s...ceipt-scanning
Old 02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for those of you accepting CC's through Intuit, how much are you being charged per swipe? Monthly? etc.
I ask bc I was trying to sign up last night, and read in one page of the 'sign up today' section $15.95 per month, plus 1.47% for swiped cards, 2.47% for keyed in cards, PLUS 27 cents per transaction. (Then in fine print, it said 27 cents per transaction at time of sale, then 27 cents per transaction when the end of day when a batch is run).
I have tried to call Intuit, and lines were busy so the answering machine took my info and said they would call me back within an hour. That was this morning at 8am, I haven't gotten a call back yet.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC2000 View Post
How do you scan them? Does QB offer something like that or are you using an outside product?

I was thinking about getting something like this.

http://www.neat.com/solutions/neat-s...ceipt-scanning
All you need is your scanner/printer. In your write checks window in pro 2012 there is a paperclip symbol on the page over the check, left click and follow simple instructions and Quickbooks does the rest.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfromNY View Post
for those of you accepting CC's through Intuit, how much are you being charged per swipe? Monthly? etc.
I ask bc I was trying to sign up last night, and read in one page of the 'sign up today' section $15.95 per month, plus 1.47% for swiped cards, 2.47% for keyed in cards, PLUS 27 cents per transaction. (Then in fine print, it said 27 cents per transaction at time of sale, then 27 cents per transaction when the end of day when a batch is run).
I have tried to call Intuit, and lines were busy so the answering machine took my info and said they would call me back within an hour. That was this morning at 8am, I haven't gotten a call back yet.
Those figures sound about right, even though they sent me a swiper for my smart phone I never use it. I key in the numbers or the customers pay online directly. American Express is much higher.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, unless I run into problems collecting checks from customers, I cant justify accepting CC's for only a percentage of my 150 or so customers. My monthly average collected per customer is around $120-200 for regular maintenance (residential). So, lets say 50 of those customers pay with CC. That would be 32 cents per customer (15.95/ 50) PLUS $2.96 ($120.00X 2.47%) PLUS 27 cents when I swipe the card, PLUS 27 cents when I close the batch= $3.82 per customer. Or $191.00 per month. What are the advantages everyone has found to justify the added expense? Save enough on paperwork? Or stamps, envelopes, trips to the bank? Do customers 'sign up' for services they normally wouldn't bc of accepting CC's? Thanks in advance, I'm just really on the fence about whether to start accepting them or not.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

It depends on how much you are doing. Personally Im only going to be using it for one time mow customers. If it stays below 1250 a month there is no monthly charge but a swipe charge of 2.7 and a keyed in charge of 3.7. If you do over that its 12.95 a month with a 1.7 swipe rate and a 2.7 keyed in rate.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
All you need is your scanner/printer. In your write checks window in pro 2012 there is a paperclip symbol on the page over the check, left click and follow simple instructions and Quickbooks does the rest.

Cool. thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
So, unless I run into problems collecting checks from customers, I cant justify accepting CC's for only a percentage of my 150 or so customers. My monthly average collected per customer is around $120-200 for regular maintenance (residential). So, lets say 50 of those customers pay with CC. That would be 32 cents per customer (15.95/ 50) PLUS $2.96 ($120.00X 2.47%) PLUS 27 cents when I swipe the card, PLUS 27 cents when I close the batch= $3.82 per customer. Or $191.00 per month. What are the advantages everyone has found to justify the added expense? Save enough on paperwork? Or stamps, envelopes, trips to the bank? Do customers 'sign up' for services they normally wouldn't bc of accepting CC's? Thanks in advance, I'm just really on the fence about whether to start accepting them or not.
I added accepting CCs AND emailing invoices.

For me personally its time spent on invoicing and money spent on paper, envelopes and postage.

On top of that it beats waiting for a check. The money is there instantly.

I dont pay ONE bill anymore through the mail. I do all my bills online. Its just easier that way. I just assumed my customers would find it easier also.