Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

whats more profitable: new installation or lawn mowing

I had a question for people that either do both or have done both in the past. What is your input on it. What is more profitable, lawn mowing or new landscape installations.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ive cleared much more at the end of the day doing landscape installs. thats all i did for 8 years at the last company i worked at. i only mow lawn now to get commercial maintenance contracts. it pays the bills and is steady work. when i line up a good install i know a nice payday is on its way. its too bad that im trying to lean more towards lining up as much mantenance work as possible and less install work though. i have my reasons, but again, installs have always paid me much more than any day mowing. just my personal experience it may be different for others.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Landscape installs and pesticide apps have way more profit than cutting grass.
My steady income comes from grass cutting but my profitable money comes from the other two.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Landscape installs and pesticide apps have way more profit than cutting grass.
My steady income comes from grass cutting but my profitable money comes from the other two.
X2. Additionally 90% of my installs become permanent maintenance customers. The excitement a customer feels with a new landscape and the opportunity to protect that investment is a strong incentive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

high volume mowing/maintenance is steady...and can be quite lucrative if done correctly...installs are usually better net...just not steady enough...we get most our installs from our maintenance accts.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

New installs are four + times more lucrative than mowing
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the input. We currently only do design/ build and are thinking about maintenance has steady income for the business and a way to grow but currently we don't do any maintenance.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its alot different around here. Landscaping is around 33% more profitable. But theres alot more investment, alot more risk in the work as far as doing something wrong, resposibility for your work, like proper drainage or possible damage, plants surviving, lawns growing in, satisfying customers. Difficult customers are much more difficult customers when it comes to landscaping. More risk in terms of pricing too low. More unexpected things pop up. Its not as secure of a job, where mowing is steady as long as you have rain. Its also physically harder work and more dangerous. Mowing is easier. Still mowing can get boring at a point. Its nice to have the variety and you can make a little more, at least I make a little more. Sounds like alot of guys are making around double doing installs than mowing.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

4 Seaons i got a question for you.

I see your in NY just like me, i was wondering if you though you could do lawn maintenance and not offer snow plowing in the winter. Currently all we do is design/build but were looking to grow and has most people know its tough to grow a design/build company in a bad economy. I though about lawn lawns and maybe even chemical applications but I'm not to thrilled about plowing. You think in NY its possible to do one and not the other had professional company
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You guys get alot more snow than us so its hard to say. Like anywhere there are alot of guys mowing here, but there are 4 times that many with a plow. I think I could get away with it. I plow for less than half of my lawn customers anyway. You might lose a little due to the plow guy getting his foot in the door. Biggest downfall would be that some plow customers will become other work customers. What else is there to do in the winter anyway? Im so bored right now Id work for free.