Register free!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 years done with Zspray

Been very happy with the unit in my second year. JR 36

Done allot with the machine with very little issues. I actually rolled it down a hill this fall, landed upside down on pavement after tumbling over a few times. Luckily I didn't get hurt..and once the machine was upright she fired right up and I finished the job.

Machine has 600 hrs on it and seems to be running just fine. Was wondering what I should be looking to do to it this winter. I need tires, I would like to get something not so tall and balloon like, are there any replacement tires out there that would give me some better stability on hills?

Stock tires are 20x8.00 Kendra Turf Rider

I put a new pump on it last winter, and plan on replacing all the cables this winter. I haven't touched the hydraulic pump, just made sure the fluid is always full. I would like to put another tank and separate pump/reel for that one so I will be calling Zspray for info on that. Anything else I should be looking to do to it?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey jim,

the pic looks like the tires i got onto the z jr i had,
they were sqaure shoulder and flat tread, they were about 1" shorter
than the factory tires,
schofields in leominster did it for me

traction was certainly improved, i had considered putting antifreeze in
them to like PG tires, but sold it b4 i got that far

you get the xtra belt i left at jdl for you?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
hey jim,

the pic looks like the tires i got onto the z jr i had,
they were sqaure shoulder and flat tread, they were about 1" shorter
than the factory tires,
schofields in leominster did it for me

traction was certainly improved, i had considered putting antifreeze in
them to like PG tires, but sold it b4 i got that far

you get the xtra belt i left at jdl for you?
Yes I did get the belt..thank you!

I did a little searching here on LS and found some other threads on tires. Looks like Im not the only one that doesn't like the round design of the stock tires. Might be why it wears so fast, I have a older wright Sentar ZTR with 3x's the hours and no real wear on the tires, or nothing close to my Zspray
Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any pics of the rollover? So you went rolling round n round with the machine and didn't bail off first? Glad you weren't hurt.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

James,
I have a 2009 Jr. with an Intermediate hopper, so it was a little unstable on hills. I needed new tires at the beginning of last year and wanted something with a more "square" profile in the hopes that I would increase stability. I ordered some tires through my local independent tire store. They are Deestone 20x8x8 (same size but different brand than the originals). At first I was a little disappointed because once I had them on I had to readjust my parking brake on both sides. The tires actually make the machine ride about a half inch lower which of course equals less clearance. I found that this in fact mattered little and may have actually helped. It is much more stable and these new tires show very little wear. They look almost the same as when we put them on this time last year. When my 2011 Jr.36 needs new tires, I plan to do the same thing. We also got rid of the rubber footplate springs and upgraded to the steel springs this year on the 2009. We hope to have a much smoother ride this season. Hope this helped.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hated the narrow tires on my JR. I just put intermediate tires/wheels on mine for next year. It means a little more hand spraying for me, but it's worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
I hated the narrow tires on my JR. I just put intermediate tires/wheels on mine for next year. It means a little more hand spraying for me, but it's worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is that a simple bolt on? Or did you need the spacer kit for the pumps? I have very few gates so I wouldn't mind giving up the 36" size.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Any pics of the rollover? So you went rolling round n round with the machine and didn't bail off first? Glad you weren't hurt.

No photo's..I was in a large industrial park and my truck was way on the other side...plus the machine rolled into the roadway so I needed to get it out of traffic fast.

I did bail, but my pant leg got caught on something and it pulled me down with the machine..I got some scrapes and a big cut on my shin but other wise did okay.

one of the brackets for the fuel tank snapped and the hose reel got a really good sided dent and the controls for the spreader cables got broken. I was really surprised that was all that happened to the machine.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
James,
I have a 2009 Jr. with an Intermediate hopper, so it was a little unstable on hills. I needed new tires at the beginning of last year and wanted something with a more "square" profile in the hopes that I would increase stability. I ordered some tires through my local independent tire store. They are Deestone 20x8x8 (same size but different brand than the originals). At first I was a little disappointed because once I had them on I had to readjust my parking brake on both sides. The tires actually make the machine ride about a half inch lower which of course equals less clearance. I found that this in fact mattered little and may have actually helped. It is much more stable and these new tires show very little wear. They look almost the same as when we put them on this time last year. When my 2011 Jr.36 needs new tires, I plan to do the same thing. We also got rid of the rubber footplate springs and upgraded to the steel springs this year on the 2009. We hope to have a much smoother ride this season. Hope this helped.
thank you, I will check out those tires.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so how long does the impeller motor (inside the hopper) last? Should I wait until it dies to replace, or should I do that while its sitting this winter?

How about the fluid in the tank? On my other hydraulic equipment I was always told to leave it be (lesco renovator and Wright Sentar) Both of those machines are almost 10 years old and still run fine