Register free!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fine. I definitely agree that the lip helps strengthen the wall. No argument there. I just don't believe that it's necessary anymore, like I used to. But it definitely helps strengthen the wall, for sure. Despite the fact that it's apparently not made to do that.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 02-11-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Seeing that we all have employees and the block company does to i think that explains why the lips were broke.I'm sure there was some rough forktruck driving in those blocks past.as far as lips. The guys from h and k group ,look them up,came to school and schooled us on walls.they said that pins and lips are for alignment only. If the lips needed to be sructural they would need to be as big as the block itself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea but without pins or lips you would NEVER be able to keep alignment. And without alignment your wall isn't going to do so well. Pins and lips are an important part of the block.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgserv View Post
Seeing that we all have employees and the block company does to i think that explains why the lips were broke.I'm sure there was some rough forktruck driving in those blocks past.as far as lips. The guys from h and k group ,look them up,came to school and schooled us on walls.they said that pins and lips are for alignment only. If the lips needed to be sructural they would need to be as big as the block itself.
Posted via Mobile Device
what exactly is their definition of structural?...i would say a lip being on a block even for alignment purposes would be considered a structural property.....and that just dont make sense anyway, that a lip would have to be as big as the block to make it structurally sound?...i dont get it...i think im kinda getting what they're trying to say, buy i think they couldn't be more wrong. What test would tell them that the size of the lip on there now would not be sufficient for added strength (what? did they turn a wall upside down, and the wall came apart? So they decided lips would have to be bigger for that purpose..hahahahahaaa) I would have to hear reasoning
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
Yea but without pins or lips you would NEVER be able to keep alignment. And without alignment your wall isn't going to do so well. Pins and lips are an important part of the block.
Good point!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Fine. I definitely agree that the lip helps strengthen the wall. No argument there. I just don't believe that it's necessary anymore, like I used to. But it definitely helps strengthen the wall, for sure. Despite the fact that it's apparently not made to do that.
i do understand that. Apparently it is not made for that..they say... hahaha. It is what it is, i guess
Old 02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Im saying that the lip cannot survive being transported how is an inch of unreinforced going to survive any shear or hyd ro pressure.the block would need to be L shaped with the same mass of block for the lip as the face block.in a reinforced wall the block isonly the veneer that covers the grid and soil or stone behind it.
Posted via Mobile Device