Register free!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Expanding into fert/spray. Need help with equipment decision.

Hi all,

Not new to the green industry, but new to the lawncare side of it. I currently have a grass cutting company with 3 crews out and I have a forth truck I wiuld like to setup with a sprayer as well as a 7x14 enclosed I would like to outfit with aerator/detatch/overseeder, fert etc etc. Hoping to keep 1 guy busy this year with the setup.

I am in the process of getting my exterminator licence here (ontario ) And I am going to have one of my guys do the technician coarse so he can spray under me.

I have a an opportunity to purchase a good used Gregson Clark 200 gallon unit. Looking for input. pros, cons, opinions on size of tank.

I am just starting out with this side of things so I wont have a huge volume of lawns to spray.

Name:  v200-truck-lg.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  28.5 KB
CASE 95XT Skidsteer w/10ft pusher
BOBCAT ct230 Compact Tractor
STIHLS & ECHOS
2 Enclosed & 2 Flat Beds
BUYERS Salters & ARCTIC Plows

Old 01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 200 gallon set up should work fine. Plus and hand spreader. Of course, you are probably aware spraying for weeds is illegal in Ontario. Green central. So you will have to sneak contraband Weed b Gone across the boder at Niagara falls.

May I suggest minutes of hand weeding with each treatment. And follow up with a dense type of bluegrass seed. Add a heavy shot of fertilizer to increase density.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
The 200 gallon set up should work fine. Plus and hand spreader. Of course, you are probably aware spraying for weeds is illegal in Ontario. Green central. So you will have to sneak contraband Weed b Gone across the boder at Niagara falls.

May I suggest minutes of hand weeding with each treatment. And follow up with a dense type of bluegrass seed. Add a heavy shot of fertilizer to increase density.
LOL thanks,
I was planning to setup a biweekly or monthly spot spray program with our Fiesta/iron garbage. Maybe spike it with somethin good.
STIHLS & ECHOS
2 Enclosed & 2 Flat Beds

Old 01-26-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Upside is a tank sprayer can always be used for something and is something every operator should have in my opinion. 200 gal is a nice size. Watch out though. As your routes grow and get tighter, 200 gals will not keep your employee busy all day doing blanket apps. At that point you will need to refill at some point during the day which can be a pain unless routes are in close proximity to the shop or you will need to graduate to a bigger tank.

The only other downside I see to it is on that particular unit, if you ever have to take the hose reel off, you may be in danger of it falling on you.
It's mounted vertical instead of horizontal.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Upside is a tank sprayer can always be used for something and is something every operator should have in my opinion. 200 gal is a nice size. Watch out though. As your routes grow and get tighter, 200 gals will not keep your employee busy all day doing blanket apps. At that point you will need to refill at some point during the day which can be a pain unless routes are in close proximity to the shop or you will need to graduate to a bigger tank.

The only other downside I see to it is on that particular unit, if you ever have to take the hose reel off, you may be in danger of it falling on you.
It's mounted vertical instead of horizontal.
I think am going to bite the bullet and go grab it this weekend. Its about 2 hrs away. The guy accepted my offer of $2500 (Canadian) I see on the website the base model lists for $3900 (US). It is suppose to be in like new condition.
As far as keeping the employee busy with blanket sprays throughout a day.. most of our stuff will be regular spot spraying as our province has ban pesticides and the new fiesta iron based stuff is expensive and the concentrate doesnt go far from what Im reading.
STIHLS & ECHOS
2 Enclosed & 2 Flat Beds

Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is sad Keepoff,

Too bad you cannot let the green faction to let you use Quicksilver or something like sulfentrazone. It is about a hundred times safer than Weed be gone...and since you don't need but only 4 ounces per acre...you could probably eat an acre of treated grass and still remain heathy. They use about 8 drops per gallon in a hand sprayer.