Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
DPKutter DPKutter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Muncie, Indiana
Posts: 19
10.001 Flyers

Just curious if anyone is going to be passing out flyers in the near future? As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be passing out 10,000 myself. I already have an established base in another County, but I moved, and I want to get as much new business in this area as possible. (Yes, I have full time help) So here's my point: I would like to compare how each of us do. I'd like for everyone to tell how many they have passed out each day. What the return rate was per 100, and how soon the calls started coming in. I'm in Indiana and plan to start within two weeks, weather permitting. I'd like to know if you walked it or drove it? Please include if you passed out door hangers. I've never done that one before. Basically, I want to hear your success stories, and also areas that you might have been able to improve in. If you message me, I'll be happy to send you a sample of one of my flyers, and who knows, maybe it needs improvement. I'd also like to see what you have came up with and compare the differences. I really think that collectively we can all help improve each other and hopefully have a fantastic season and make as much money as possible. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2012, 06:00 PM
micah.ness micah.ness is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPKutter View Post
Just curious if anyone is going to be passing out flyers in the near future? As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be passing out 10,000 myself. I already have an established base in another County, but I moved, and I want to get as much new business in this area as possible. (Yes, I have full time help) So here's my point: I would like to compare how each of us do. I'd like for everyone to tell how many they have passed out each day. What the return rate was per 100, and how soon the calls started coming in. I'm in Indiana and plan to start within two weeks, weather permitting. I'd like to know if you walked it or drove it? Please include if you passed out door hangers. I've never done that one before. Basically, I want to hear your success stories, and also areas that you might have been able to improve in. If you message me, I'll be happy to send you a sample of one of my flyers, and who knows, maybe it needs improvement. I'd also like to see what you have came up with and compare the differences. I really think that collectively we can all help improve each other and hopefully have a fantastic season and make as much money as possible. Thanks in advance.
I would love to know as well!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2012, 06:33 PM
lawn care St. Cloud, MN lawn care St. Cloud, MN is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Posts: 56
flyers

Let us know how the flyers go. When we have done flyers in the past we go door to door and talk to people which has been really good. We have not tryed to put them in the paper or anything like that...Not sure how effective that is anymore.

Again....Let us know how the flyers go.

LawnXperts lawn care St. Cloud, MN
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM
DPKutter DPKutter is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Muncie, Indiana
Posts: 19
I'll be sure to update as I go along. It'll be a few weeks though. I will also detail the neighborhoods, and if I can add pics to here, I will. This should help give everyone an idea of what I look for. I've had equal luck in the past with higher class neighborhoods and middle class neighborhoods. Hopefully it is the same around here. Thanks again, Micah and St. Cloud.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:00 PM
unkownfl's Avatar
unkownfl unkownfl is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orlando/Windermere
Posts: 3,774
I usually get 75 houses an hour per man. It cost me .056 per flyer for printing alone. I usually have a ROR of about 8% for estimates. I book less than 1 out of the 8 for service. I only sell year around service contracts or pay by the cut. All service is towards residential zero is commercial. I have employees walk door to door and I drop them off. I have walked many of these neighborhoods and know how many hours roughly each take. I get calls sometimes minutes after to years later. I've honored prices that I advertised 2 years ago if they still have the flier. Here is a battle to pass out advertisement. Many of my future clients live in gated communities and have HOA guidelines against door to door sales and advertising. It's a real headache and I plan on being cussed out at least once per every neighborhood of about 300 homes. Usually it's a competitor that lives in the community or a snoopy neighbor. I have had bad reviews left on multiple sites from so called customer but I know they're from door hangers. Is it worth it sure but its a headache every time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
justanotherlawnguy's Avatar
justanotherlawnguy justanotherlawnguy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,192
Have fun passing out 10000 flyers, 9997 of them are gonna end up in the trash.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 PM
micah.ness micah.ness is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 10
dont be a downer
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 PM
xclusive xclusive is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
Have fun passing out 10000 flyers, 9997 of them are gonna end up in the trash.
Posted via Mobile Device
A majority might end up in the garbage, but even if he gets a 1% hit with a closure rate of .25-.50% that gives him 25 to 50 new clients. If it costs him 4k between labor and materials and he picks up 50k in new work then it's absolutely worth it. I put out about 11k in flyers last year and turned up a lot of new business which made it well worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 AM
justanotherlawnguy's Avatar
justanotherlawnguy justanotherlawnguy is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,192
There is a company around here who flyers the crap out of everywhere. I find their flyers everywhere. He probably drops thousands of them. He advertises that they have been in business for over 18 years. If they have been around that long, why is he still passing out flyers? He should have more repeat business then he knows what to do with.

I haven't been around for nearly that long, but long enough to have worked for a ton of people. We cancelled our last print advertising early last year and havent dropped a single flyer, EVER! It's all repeat and referral business. We stay busy 6 days a week, with every year better then the previous. So what does that say about Joe blow that passes out 10k flyers a season? Something is wrong with either him or the people that respond to his flyers.

You figure it out, and I call shannigans on getting $50k in business from your example above.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM
micah.ness micah.ness is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
There is a company around here who flyers the crap out of everywhere. I find their flyers everywhere. He probably drops thousands of them. He advertises that they have been in business for over 18 years. If they have been around that long, why is he still passing out flyers? He should have more repeat business then he knows what to do with.

I haven't been around for nearly that long, but long enough to have worked for a ton of people. We cancelled our last print advertising early last year and havent dropped a single flyer, EVER! It's all repeat and referral business. We stay busy 6 days a week, with every year better then the previous. So what does that say about Joe blow that passes out 10k flyers a season? Something is wrong with either him or the people that respond to his flyers.

You figure it out, and I call shannigans on getting $50k in business from your example above.
Posted via Mobile Device
i can see where your coming from and im sure a lot of his will end up in the trash but this will be my first whole year in the business and i already have 4 accounts. Im going to print off 1000 flyers I designed myself. I will most likely go door to door for a little under half of them. Even if i only get a half of a percent of those to let me service their lawn thats 5 accounts. 5 accounts at 35 dollars per mow (average) will bring my season up 2800 dollars from 100 dollars worth of flyers. And thats a minimum especially since im going door to door. I can understand where your coming from but for me.. this is a good deal. And for him... half a percent of 10000 is 50 accounts... Go for gold bud
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comparison , flyers , new business , team effort

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 AM.

Page generated in 0.08438 seconds with 7 queries