Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
There is a company around here who flyers the crap out of everywhere. I find their flyers everywhere. He probably drops thousands of them. He advertises that they have been in business for over 18 years. If they have been around that long, why is he still passing out flyers? He should have more repeat business then he knows what to do with.

I haven't been around for nearly that long, but long enough to have worked for a ton of people. We cancelled our last print advertising early last year and havent dropped a single flyer, EVER! It's all repeat and referral business. We stay busy 6 days a week, with every year better then the previous. So what does that say about Joe blow that passes out 10k flyers a season? Something is wrong with either him or the people that respond to his flyers.

You figure it out, and I call shannigans on getting $50k in business from your example above.
Posted via Mobile Device
I never said anything about passing out flyers once your established. The OP asked about passing them out in a new non established area. Maybe the guy in your area is doing something wrong to keep having to put out flyers year after year. You can call shannigans all you want with my example, but it does work cause I have done it. I actually made more than 50k from passing out flyers last year. I track every call that comes in and determine where I get the most bang for my buck. Referrals work well to, but when your new to an area it is tough. The main reason why people switch to my services is because they are not happy with their previous provider not because my price is lower. I am usually higher priced. I see many companies that offer cheap services and have had potential clients tell me they did not hire that company cause the price was too cheap.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPKutter View Post
Just curious if anyone is going to be passing out flyers in the near future? As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be passing out 10,000 myself. I already have an established base in another County, but I moved, and I want to get as much new business in this area as possible. (Yes, I have full time help) So here's my point: I would like to compare how each of us do. I'd like for everyone to tell how many they have passed out each day. What the return rate was per 100, and how soon the calls started coming in. I'm in Indiana and plan to start within two weeks, weather permitting. I'd like to know if you walked it or drove it? Please include if you passed out door hangers. I've never done that one before. Basically, I want to hear your success stories, and also areas that you might have been able to improve in. If you message me, I'll be happy to send you a sample of one of my flyers, and who knows, maybe it needs improvement. I'd also like to see what you have came up with and compare the differences. I really think that collectively we can all help improve each other and hopefully have a fantastic season and make as much money as possible. Thanks in advance.
Have you had your flyers printed yet? We've have a lot of good specials running right now at Adeas & ways to take your flyers and especially door hangers to the next level (to really get noticed in the new territory) I'm talking about our revolutionary Band-It & Stick It attachments. Take a look at our video to learn more & call us if you are looking for a good printer. We are family owned & love making our customers happy!
http://www.adeasprinting.com/Door-Hangers

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211
Old 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Have fun passing out 10000 flyers, 9997 of them are gonna end up in the trash.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have gotten nearly 4 percent response rate to fliers. The trick is to have a well designed flier that represents you well. It should be professional in appearance but also eye catching and present some personality.

I still use fliers, not because I need more clients, but because the fliers can bring in the most worthy clientele, either high end full service customers or clients interested in investing in large projects to improve their property.

J.A.L.G. If you have never used fliers why do you think that they will not work?
Many of us in this business can tell you that the fliers have been essential to building their clientele.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm pizza hut dominos and papa johns all flyer. Oh wait I believe trugreen scotts and countless other flyer every year too I guess it doesn't work though...
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Just finished ordering my 10,000 flyers from a company in NY. They were much cheaper than anyone around my Indiana area. I paid $345.00. They should be here in three days, so early next week I'll be hitting the neighborhoods.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I tried door hangers last year and that went ok. Got just under 1% return. Most of mine has come from signs in stores and such. Last year was my first year so I have learned a few things. I will be doing many more door hangers. One thing I am going to do is have a local pizza place stick a flyer to every pizza box they send out . They are clients of mine so I give them a break on there service. Plus anyone who walks in will see my work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd27 View Post
I tried door hangers last year and that went ok. Got just under 1% return. Most of mine has come from signs in stores and such. Last year was my first year so I have learned a few things. I will be doing many more door hangers. One thing I am going to do is have a local pizza place stick a flyer to every pizza box they send out . They are clients of mine so I give them a break on there service. Plus anyone who walks in will see my work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Smart idea, I may do that myself. It keeps the advertisement localized!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd27 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a good idea! Have it just taped right on top of the box. I have used plan-it graphics for all my stuff and have been very happy.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

shannigans!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Sponsor

Maybe I missed something

Quote:
There is a company around here who flyers the crap out of everywhere. I find their flyers everywhere. He probably drops thousands of them. He advertises that they have been in business for over 18 years. If they have been around that long, why is he still passing out flyers? He should have more repeat business then he knows what to do with.

I haven't been around for nearly that long, but long enough to have worked for a ton of people. We cancelled our last print advertising early last year and havent dropped a single flyer, EVER! It's all repeat and referral business. We stay busy 6 days a week, with every year better then the previous. So what does that say about Joe blow that passes out 10k flyers a season? Something is wrong with either him or the people that respond to his flyers.

You figure it out, and I call shannigans on getting $50k in business from your example above.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe he is still growing his business. I wouldn't think its fair to suggest he's doing something wrong or going after the wrong clients just because he's advertising.

With all due respect to you, maybe you operate a smaller service and you are not wanting to add that much new business. Referrals may take care of attrition only, but may not be enough to meet future projected growth goals for his business.

All companies that want to grow budget and spend money on marketing and advertising. You might think this is a bad comparison, but look at McDonald's, Taco Bell, Budweiser, etc. They all advertise and so should most companies.

Good luck to everyone this year.
"Where PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD"
How to bid mowing and landscaping jobs
Manuals & CDs Available to help you make your Business more PROFITABLE & PROFESSIONAL
800-845-0499
Louisville, KY
Since 1979

Tags
comparison , flyers , new business , team effort