Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was being a smart-a__ about that jar. I can't tell anything about your soil except you do have a lot of clay.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
A minor point - "I" call a drain without pipe in it a "french" drain. Anything with pipe in it is a drain line. It doesn't matter for this conversation but it might in another situation.

That drawing isn't set in stone. It can be changed to fit any scenario. That is just a rough first draft.

You can put soil on top of a drain but, it (especially clay) will seriously impair the drainage.

I think you are thinking of this kind of pipe. - picture on the left.

This is the kind of pipe i am talking about. - picture on the right.
The perforations go all the way around the pipe on that. But if you were using rigid perforated pipe then yes you would put the hole's facing down.
Can anyone explain to me the difference. I have seen some videos online with a perforated pipe all around, and have seen some with holes only on one side like this

http://youtu.be/U6r4ZSbTQ8U

Whats the difference? Pros? Cons?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that main difference in the pipe with the holes on the bottom and pipe with perf's all the way around is that the pipe in that video is intended for foundation drainage. But you don't want to use that for your foundation because the weight of the rock can crush the pipe. That's when you want rigid pipe. That kind of pipe isn't intended for landscape drainage. In fact the job in that video is amateurish. You can do a lot better than that for the same amount of money.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
I think that main difference in the pipe with the holes on the bottom and pipe with perf's all the way around is that the pipe in that video is intended for foundation drainage. But you don't want to use that for your foundation because the weight of the rock can crush the pipe. That's when you want rigid pipe. That kind of pipe isn't intended for landscape drainage. In fact the job in that video is amateurish. You can do a lot better than that for the same amount of money.
So your saying for landscape drainage, the perforated corrugated is no good, because the rocks will crush it and I would be better off using some perforated schedule 40 PVC type stuff?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No, i am saying that the kind of pipe in the video is intended for FOUNDATION drainage. Do you even know what that is ? I am talking about house's wall's. I am also saying rigid pipe is a better choice for foundation drainage because of the potential for the rock used in foundation drain's to cause damage to flexible pipe.

You want 4 inch, flexible, perforated drain tile. It usually come's in 100' roll's. Use those word's exactly. Don't even say Schedule 40 PVC . That is wrong and will cause confusion.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_homeowner View Post
Did you see all 23 pics I posted? I am thinking to direct the water to the drain in my neighbors yard no? Isnt that why there is a swale of rocks between the fences? There are shots of all the neighbors on each side. Let me know what else you need to see, I will take more. I really want to fix this the right way. Thanks for the reply.
Pictures are basically useless.

Drainage is now the one area I won't even do a free estimate for. Almost any one of the calls, is an on-site visit to determine if that's even the need, or related.

It's also the type of work where I think 90% of landscapers are over their heads to consistently deal with approaching effective solutions.

Here is my advice in a nutshell ...

Read >>> Drainage Advice Mega Page

When it comes to drainage, let's put the photos back in the file, and call an expert out there to take a look, or provide a plan on-site. It's hard enough to deal with on-site, let alone images.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890