Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying F-350 Dump

I run a small business. We are only about 2 year into it with low start up funds. We are considering buying a 1988 F-350 Dump with wood sides with 107,000 miles for $3000.00

Runs Drives and Dumps. May need a new injector and smokes blue on start-up. Is this a wise decision? Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

is it a gas or diesel and is it 4x4 or 2wd and is auto or manual? the engine obviously has an egine oil burning issue could be the rings which you can buy products to somewhat stop the leakage or it could be something more severe depending on how long you wanted to use it for.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it's a 7.3 diesel then the blue smoke is generally caused because the glow-plug system isn't operating efficiently. Also, if it is a diesel, those old mechanical injection motors are known to smoke at start-up.

If it's a cab and chassis, non-super duty, then the payload will only be around 1 ton. I personally would go with an F-450 or equivalent truck. Generally the GVWR will allow you to pull a 10k trailer and stay under CDL limits.

I started off with an 87, 6.9 diesel F-350. It served it's purpose for a few good years.

If it is a diesel, the 7.3 is known to have cavitation problems, so you'll need to check the SCA's in the rad fluid to keep this from happening.

Personally, I'd steer clear of it if you intend to keep it for a long time. Those eras of trucks get major rot on the body mounts and rocker panels. That and the 7.3 diesel is not a cheap motor to work on and lacks power. But, if you plan on buying it cheap and working it till the wheels fall off then go for it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

diesel, 2wd. He said it needs a few injectors and only smokes on start-up. I think it is manual doesn't say. That is not too important. i was hoping to use it on the regular for mowing and landscape jobs. The payload inn't huge dump dumping is better than trailer unloading by hand.

A diesel with 107, I was hoping to use it for a year or so. I am OK a working on trucks.

There is also a small crane welded to the frame in the back.

He wanted 4000 I talked him down to 3000 I was hoping for $2500 but so far no go.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbard's Landscape View Post
diesel, 2wd. He said it needs a few injectors and only smokes on start-up. I think it is manual doesn't say. That is not too important. i was hoping to use it on the regular for mowing and landscape jobs. The payload inn't huge dump dumping is better than trailer unloading by hand.

A diesel with 107, I was hoping to use it for a year or so. I am OK a working on trucks.

There is also a small crane welded to the frame in the back.

He wanted 4000 I talked him down to 3000 I was hoping for $2500 but so far no go.
I personally wouldn't spend any more than 2k on that truck. If the glow plugs are anything but Motorcraft glow plugs, then I would only offer him 500 bucks as aftermarket glowplugs are notorious for breaking off in the head on these motors.

And honestly there is no way of knowing if the injectors are bad without pulling them and doing a bench test.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Start the engine and open the oil cap and see how much air is coming out. Usually they smoke grey/black and stink when it's a bad injector. Blue usually means it's burning a ton of oil because a little bit will smoke grey as the diesel is trying to use it as fuel. Otherwise get it on the freeway for 20 miles checking the oil level before and after you will notice how much burned in that short amount of time if it's smoking blue. The CDR probley needs serviced or the rings are worn. Keep in mind these truck have a 5 digit odometer so it could have 107k 207k 307k miles etc. They're really easy to work on but I would not consider a burning oil diesel. I had an old idi I used for awhile and it would need 2 gallons of oil per tank of fuel.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd stay away from it but that's just me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another thing I want to add is that if it's an auto, the fuel consumption isn't going to be that great.

My old 6.9 with a 4.10 rear only got about 11-13mpg. It was only a 3 speed and I don't think the E40D 4 speed got much better consumption.

That and it was a dump truck and was generally always working so that brought down the mpg's also.