Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2012, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Best Zero Turn Mowers?

Ok, I know this is probably on this site 50 times but i cant find it. I have seen tons of stuff on walk behinds and some on zero turns but nothing actually comparing and putting them up against each other.

Im new to lawnsite.com, and to the lawn care business. I was wondering if you guys could help me by telling me which zero turn mowers you think are best. Doesn't matter if its because the deck, the speed, the low maintenance costs, whichever.

Im planning on starting with commercial lots. I have a buddy with some experience helping me but this is something I figured getting a bunch of different opinions would help alot.

Thanks guys. Sorry Im long winded...

JJ

J
Old 02-16-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who is the best band in the world, regardless of music style?

Choose from your list of local dealers after you decide on deck size.
A dealer with a good reputation amongst other LCOs is a good starting point.
You might as well like your local dealer, especially if you're buying a used ZTR from wherever/whomever. Cuz when you need him/them, a good relationship will smooooth the ride to getting parts and/or getting fixed back up.
$0.02

Good Luck!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I definitely see your point with the music reference. Im just looking for a good starting point.

Im sure there have got to be some kia brands (No offense Kia owners) and some Porsche's. Just trying to be able to categorize them better since I only have hands on knowledge of a couple.

Thank you for the insight on the dealers.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Best Mower

Personally, I run two 72" Dixie Choppers and a 60" Dixie Chopper. Parts are reasonable and I do all the repairs myself. But Ferris, Scag, Kubota, John Deere, Grasshopper, and Exmark all make great mowers. All of those mowers will serve you well as long as you take care of them. It basically just comes down to the dealer and how quickly you can get parts to minimize your down time.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Brand loyalty is rampant 'round here...and tons of good info. Perhaps there is the perfect mower out there for you...but you'll never fully know unless you have one of each to use for an extended period of time to really get to know the nuances of each...both good and bad. Good luck!?

Will you need to bag the clippings? Mulching? Side-discharging? All three??

Since you're just starting out, have you considered a walk-behind mower instead?

I mow only residential. Gate width can surely dictate the size of needed mower(s) since backyards tend to be larger as well as the fenced-in part.

While I can see some benefits of commercial mowing, residential has its own benefits. Many of these said benefits are mutually exclusive. You'll likely need to have a mix of both to stay afloat in the beginning.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

get a wright stander and do things the wright way. stand up and perform
Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion the top mowers in no particular order are exmark, scag, toro, kubota and deere. Then would come what I consider very good mowers like wright, gravely, walker, hustler, grasshopper, ferris. Then good mowers for the money like bob cat, snapper pro, lesco, everride, bad boy, big dog. I'm sure I missed a bunch and hurt some egos, sorry just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2012, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally I think every mower is different. I kind of get hooked on a brand and stick with it that way you have nsome power at your local dealer.. maybe try to demo some I am partial to exmark walk behind mowers, floating decks. I feel the allow you to have superior control on moving around ; the hyrdostat allows you to have infinate speeds;while still providing you with a large or small cutting deck depending on what type of areas your cutting. The one downside is exmarks are kind of pricey if your just starting out but well worth the money. I maintenance mine regularly and have had few problems
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would start off by making a list of brands in your area that are available. You don't wanna be so loyal to mower A that you have to drive a hundred miles to get to the dealer. The closest dealers to me are Exmark, Dixon, Scag, Kubota and Grasshopper. I personally have used Dixon for over 10 years.It has served me EXTREMELY well. Thus no change for me. But I think all of the above offer a high quality product. Ask your dealer lots of questions. I almost bought an exmark a couple of years ago, the dealer was in my hometown. When I asked him who worked on his mowers when the needed work, his answer to me was, and I quote, "You don't have to work on Exmarks, they don't tear up!" So I knew right there that I wouldn't buy from him, unless you live on Mars, everyone knows that everything tears up at some point so I felt like he was calling me stupid. You also need to make sure your dealer will put you at the front of the line for repair work if you buy a mower from him to make a living with. All reputable dealers will do that. I know a competitor who runs Grasshopper and he is always waiting 2 or 3 weeks for any service or parts he needs. Totally unacceptable.