Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stand on mowers - dealer steering us away

Hi all,

I am very VERY interested in getting a stand on mower (really want the SCAG, but am going to try out the Exmark as well as the Toro before deciding).

My dad (who is the financial means of the operation ) wants to get another mower and was talking with our Exmark dealer and he's trying to say that most people around the area (east/middle TN) hate them, that they pop up to much and aren't selling very well.

Personally I think this kind of talk is due to the fact that Exmark priced the Vantage very competatively with the walk behinds and it cut into his rider inventory. But, that's just my opinion.

Anyone here with a stand-on mower (preferably either SCAG, Toro or Exmark) hate theirs? If you don't just reply and let me know you like it (I'm not thinking I will be getting much in the way of negative replies.)
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are pros and cons to stand on's. I like the Scag better than the Toro/Exmark ones just because I am a big guy and I make the front end light standing so far back.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

go to a Wright dealer... their rapid height standers are the best.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
go to a Wright dealer... their rapid height standers are the best.
There great if you have a extra $4,000-$5,000 to spend on them.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One of my customers that has a few Wright Standers bought an Exmark. Couldnt keep the front end on the ground even with multiple expensive weight kits. Ended up getting rid of it.

The Rapid Height Standers are actually around the same or a bit cheaper than a comparable fixed deck stander. I have customers that have both. None of them really like the Rapid Height. They prefer the fixed deck machines. Hoping the Stander X will be a better machine than the RH.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Vride and it is a great machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro Grandstand is a good machine. Not as rough a ride as the wright stander, imo.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasracer View Post
There great if you have a extra $4,000-$5,000 to spend on them.
what?? when i was looking, the V-ride was a grand more then my stander...
Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

there is a wright dealer in east nashville off trinity lane. go check them out. theyre nice guys. they also have the toro there.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions99 View Post
Hi all,

I am very VERY interested in getting a stand on mower (really want the SCAG, but am going to try out the Exmark as well as the Toro before deciding).

My dad (who is the financial means of the operation ) wants to get another mower and was talking with our Exmark dealer and he's trying to say that most people around the area (east/middle TN) hate them, that they pop up to much and aren't selling very well.

Personally I think this kind of talk is due to the fact that Exmark priced the Vantage very competatively with the walk behinds and it cut into his rider inventory. But, that's just my opinion.

Anyone here with a stand-on mower (preferably either SCAG, Toro or Exmark) hate theirs? If you don't just reply and let me know you like it (I'm not thinking I will be getting much in the way of negative replies.)
So far with the rain I've only been able to put about 2 hours on my 52" Vride. My previoius mower was a 54" John Deere Hydro Walk behind....So i dont have alot of time on the mower but so far my only complaints with it are, Doesnt handle steep hills at all, dont even try basically.. And sometimes one of the front tires comes off the ground when going over small bumps, ALso wish the platform you stand on was a little wider to give you more ability to shift body weight better. But the advantages over the walk behind far outweigh the disadvantages. Cuts fantastic, Get finished so much quicker than with my WB..So far really like it!!

ALSO, i see your from East TN, So am I......I would highly recommed talking to Boones Creek Outdoor Power Equipment If you are interested in the Scag they were the best price in the area, and great people to work with as well.
John Deere 455 Diesel 60"
John Deere JX75 21"
Craftsman 21"
Echo blower/trimmer