Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Coping around a vinyl liner pool.

Thats what my pool is.. I have never done anything with bullnose or any other type of coping around a pool that the pool company did not install for us to work up to. I have a concrete pool deck at my house with a vinyl liner. If I wanted to replace all the concrete with pavers, I do understand how the pool was constructed and the supporting straps that go out from the sides of the pool etc. I just am not sure how to deal with the piece the liner snaps into which the plastic bullnose now sits.. Right now the piece is inserted into the concrete. It seems I have to be half hardscaper and half pool construction company. Can someone help me with where the two of these merge?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is the concrete deck around the pool like now? Good condition? Heaving?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea its decent... no cracks.. a couple pieces have lifted an inch or so, but hacent cracked... But since the liner lip is seated in the plastic coping, which is then ( I believe) inserted into the wet concrete, I dont know where to start.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Yea its decent... no cracks.. a couple pieces have lifted an inch or so, but hacent cracked... But since the liner lip is seated in the plastic coping, which is then ( I believe) inserted into the wet concrete, I dont know where to start.
We work with 2-4 pools a month, I have alot of knowledge about pool construction.

Correct, the plastic coping (and on some older vinyl pools, the coping is aluminum) is seated IN the concrete.

If you remove that existing concrete deck - you will interfere with the plastic coping. For those new to this - that coping is what anchors the vinyl liner to the pool structure.

Also, the concrete decking is supported by steel braceing around the entire perimeter of the pool. So, if you take the concrete up -you may find the ground to be quite settled under it. The steel bracing is attached to the supports that the metal sides are anchored to.

From my experience around pools (vinyl, concrete, & gunite) - I WOULD NOT take up that concrete decking. If you want to enhance the decking you can do an overlay of pavers ONTOP of the concrete, this way you do not interfere with the coping and the liner.

This pic is a job where they had they typical 3' concrete decking around the pool. Do left the decking fully intact.

I'll have to look, there is a 48% chance I may have pics of one of our pool projects showing the concrete molded into the coping.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 01-30-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's another vinyl pool, with a coping MORTARED to the decking:

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And I sent you a PM. Only stating this here because many times I have messages and I'm not aware of it.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
We work with 2-4 pools a month, I have alot of knowledge about pool construction.......

....From my experience around pools (vinyl, concrete, & gunite) - I WOULD NOT take up that concrete decking. If you want to enhance the decking you can do an overlay of pavers ONTOP of the concrete, this way you do not interfere with the coping and the liner.
Clarification -

My above post may mislead people.

The decking around concrete and gunite pools is not part of the pool's header (walls). If the pool is gunite or concrete, you can take the concrete decking up.

For vinyl - you're opening up a can of worms if you take the concrete decking up, and I do not advise doing so.

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-1 belt
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks a lot guys. I did think about an overlay.. I just couldnt picture the new capping/coping working with the existing. With that picture it helps. I to was worried about taking up the concrete.. I think I can fix the lifted pieces and overlay (althought I know somewhere down the line it is all going to shift again.)
Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Thanks a lot guys. I did think about an overlay.. I just couldnt picture the new capping/coping working with the existing. With that picture it helps. I to was worried about taking up the concrete.. I think I can fix the lifted pieces and overlay (althought I know somewhere down the line it is all going to shift again.)
I'm in agreement with DVS. If the concrete deck is in good shape, leave it.

If it's in bad shape, then you're best to have a pool construction guy fix/consult on it, then veneer it.

As you see from DVS pictures, you can't even tell it's a retrofit
Old 01-31-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea you cant.. I pictured using a Bullnose coping/tread but overtop of the plastic coping it would look awful. I guess the straight cap is the way to go.. and it looks nice!