Register free!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have no idea what you guys are talking about in regards to removing concrete around a liner pool. How will removing concrete decking cause the liner to 'fall out'?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

matt the liner is held intp place by the piece under the coping. on the older pools it's often aluminum. The concrete is molded into the coping.

you can see this in the pic below. take notice above my man's red hat to the chunk of concrete that's clinging to the dangeling coping.
Attached Images

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVHardscape View Post
I recently lost a paver job around a pool because the other person I was bidding against said it was absolutely no problem to remove the decking around a vinyl pool.

i hope he got the job! hahaha.
What are you referreing to when you say vinyl pool, what are the walls made of? If they are stell walls with a vinyl liner then I see no issues. We have removed many concrete decks and the liner stays in place. If you are talking a one piece pool then thats another story, one I don't want to know about!!
I should add though that when its time to replace the concrete usually its time for a new liner anyway.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
What are you referreing to when you say vinyl pool, what are the walls made of? If they are stell walls with a vinyl liner then I see no issues. We have removed many concrete decks and the liner stays in place. If you are talking a one piece pool then thats another story, one I don't want to know about!!
I should add though that when its time to replace the concrete usually its time for a new liner anyway.

Most liner pools in our area plastic sides pvc, with a semi structural "ish" network behind that, which then gets backfilled with sand. but like stated before the liner retainer piece is in the concrete decking, which is independent of the pool.

I guess in the end its alot safer to do a deck removal to a shotcrete or gunnite pool than a liner.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

mmmmmm mc. donalds in above picture! haha
Old 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You should be able to remove the concrete deck carefully from a vinyl liner pool with no harm to the liner -- as long as the pool was installed correctly and you lower the water level in the pool.

The liner track should be screwed into the top of the pool wall.

I like to saw cut around the pool parallel with the edge about 4 inches away. Do the bulk demo and then come in with a chipping hammer and carefully remove the edge. We routinely repair pool decks and can successfully remove the deck from the aluminum coping with not too much issue.

The concrete around the top of a liner pool is used to help support the top of the wall, so it must go back to stabilize the pool -- installed under the lip of the wall and then you can set your coping stones

an example is the 18" collar we installed around this pool, it was floated off to the elevation of the pool wall. This pool has pool tile going on it so the liner is attached to the bottom of the tile mounting strip. The deck on this particular pool was wet laid pavers with a bull-nose coping.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

i think it depends on the installation methods used originally. alot of the pool companies these days just throw a tub in the ground, backfill it, pour a deck and they're gone.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVHardscape View Post
i think it depends on the installation methods used originally. alot of the pool companies these days just throw a tub in the ground, backfill it, pour a deck and they're gone.
If you are in sandy soil or high water table area those "tubs" are a good way to go, the install them alot down at the ocean front

of course being a concrete guy my preference is shotcrete.. we are currently working on a commercial pool renovation project, Friday we ripped out 3900 square feet of concrete deck. the pool contractor will re do the tile, lights, skimmers, drains, steps etc and we will come back in and install about 4500 foot of cantilevered concrete deck.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVA_Concrete View Post
You should be able to remove the concrete deck carefully from a vinyl liner pool with no harm to the liner -- as long as the pool was installed correctly and you lower the water level in the pool.

The liner track should be screwed into the top of the pool wall.

I like to saw cut around the pool parallel with the edge about 4 inches away. Do the bulk demo and then come in with a chipping hammer and carefully remove the edge. We routinely repair pool decks and can successfully remove the deck from the aluminum coping with not too much issue.

The concrete around the top of a liner pool is used to help support the top of the wall, so it must go back to stabilize the pool -- installed under the lip of the wall and then you can set your coping stones

an example is the 18" collar we installed around this pool, it was floated off to the elevation of the pool wall. This pool has pool tile going on it so the liner is attached to the bottom of the tile mounting strip. The deck on this particular pool was wet laid pavers with a bull-nose coping.

I do agree with SVA, that it CAN be done. And yes, there are times where a portion of the concrete apron around a pool must be replaced.

But it's really not something that your typical paver guy should fool with. And the reason I say "typical paver guy" is because most paver people come from stripping lawns and know nothing about pool construction, or even construction in general.

Also, thats alotta effort to go through for a cookie cutter vinyl pool. Kinda like putting gold wheels on a Ford Tempo.

Now....the pool that SVA is posting pics of - is NOT your typical steel sided vinyl liner pool. That looks a little fancier!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 02-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Now....the pool that SVA is posting pics of - is NOT your typical steel sided vinyl liner pool. That looks a little fancier!
agree! not the typical run of the mill. I also agree that the typical paver guy should not F--- with pool deck construction.