Register free!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plus the concrete is molded around the coping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While I have never done an overlay on top of concrete, I have always wondered about the step height after adding a 2+ inch paver over the concrete. If you add sand under the pavers it would add another inch. However, I would assume the coping would be glued down. I would be worried the first step would be too tall????
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by all ferris View Post
While I have never done an overlay on top of concrete, I have always wondered about the step height after adding a 2+ inch paver over the concrete. If you add sand under the pavers it would add another inch. However, I would assume the coping would be glued down. I would be worried the first step would be too tall????
When we install pavers over a concrete pool deck we usually screed the sand to about 1/2-inch, not 1-inch.

And yes, the riser of the first step into the pool WILL increase.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Take it easy

Like I said...really old pool. Bottom of pool is concrete, not sand...so side wall panels and liner sit on the concrete. Liner is a 'j hook' that slides in to the track that sits a couple of inches down from coping I want to cut. Yes the concrete is molded around and forms into the coping (I think), but is it really there for structural purposes? The coping essentially looks like it is filled with the concrete, but is this little bit of concrete really there to hold up the whole steel side panel?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioB View Post
Take it easy

Like I said...really old pool. Bottom of pool is concrete, not sand...so side wall panels and liner sit on the concrete. Liner is a 'j hook' that slides in to the track that sits a couple of inches down from coping I want to cut. Yes the concrete is molded around and forms into the coping (I think), but is it really there for structural purposes? The coping essentially looks like it is filled with the concrete, but is this little bit of concrete really there to hold up the whole steel side panel?
Not sure what you want to hear.

Did you call a pool remodeler?

If you have the know how to replace the coping then have at it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess my question is...am I right that inside the half circle of the coping is only concrete? And if I do slice it, does the coping really support the entire pool side and vinyl cover if the whole back side and pool floor have poured concrete to support the panel?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take it easy

Why don't you post pictures
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not a pool builder. But we work with about 30 to 40 pools a year.

The coping has its purpose. My observation is that it plays a role in holding the liner up. When we break the concrete apron, the coping falls out if place and the liner slides down. And most of all it provides a smooth surface so Zedo's Speedos don't get ripped as he climbs in and out.

Being a hardscape professional - I personally would NOT lay a finger on the coping on a vinyl pool if we were doing a paver job around it. I am not qualified to be messing with it in that capacity. So I view it as a liability / responsibility risk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

if its just standard white half circle coping on a steel wall pool.. The coping and liner track are just screwed to the top of the panel and will not harm the structure of the pool if removed..

take some pictures and I'll be able to tell you for sure if it can be removed without hurting the pool.. Building and renovating all types of pools is 90% of my work..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok here it is. I just want to slice the part above the liner channel.
Attached Images