Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Northern guys...first round product?

OK - for guys with northern turfgrasses only....

What is your product of choice for 1st round (fert + pre, pre only, etc).
AND
Why do you keep going with it year after year OR why are you switching it up this season?

I have been using 17-0-0 with .28 prodiamine and while I am fairly satisfied with crab control, the fert end of things just does not provide a super quality green up. I realize some of the green up may be dictated by what is applied late fall, so perhaps that is my issue??
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use 19-0-0 with Team Pro or 19-0-0 with dimension. I switch every 2 years on long terms just to change the chemical. Truthfully I don't know if it is very effective overall. I don't have huge crab issues on any of my lawns so maybe it does work. I find crab later in the summer but that is spot sprayed and contained.

I find that for green up I have better luck with fert+Fe over the 2 3rd and some props 4th application. It definately stays green waaaay into the early winter and has the quickest green up in the spring. I think you knid of answered your question. Give the iron a try. Its a little tricky if you arent very consistent with your apps and you have to watch for staining on hard surfaces but I really like the results and so do my customers.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Andersons Dimension 18-0-4 first round. I split ap my preemerge so it goes down the 3rd round also. Not 100% certain that will be this years first round yet. If I can change, depending on product at supplier, I will. I change my chemistry, all products, every couple years to help with resistance.
Blizzard 860HD
7 1/2 ft Western Plow
Toro 7/24 snowblower
2 Toro CCR 2450 snowblowers
48" Allis Chalmers
48" Ferris WB
36" Exmark Viking
21" Toro
21" Poulan Pro
2- Echo PB755H
Echo & Ryobi trimmers
Echo PAS 265 & attachments
Stihl & Poulan chain saws
Stihl BP blower
Stihl FS-56RC-E Trimmer
Billy Goat 16hp HTR Loader
Pesticide License BU0426
A Positive Outlook
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used Fert + Dimension. Typically Lesco brand but went with Andersons last year based on price. On CG problematic lawns (determined yearly) and areas like next to roadways, I always apply again on 2nd or 3rd round. That has been the ticket for me and controlling CG for the most part. I carry Solitare in a sprayer to control any breakthrough later in the year. I like it because I can also take out nutsedge with it which seems to be becoming the number one enemy anymore!

The lawns always look good in health and color, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with what preventer one is using. As you mentioned, that would be based more on late fall fertilizing according to my understanding. A good dose of iron would be helpful as someone has mentioned, but I know of no preventers that have iron in them. It might be too early for that anyway. Anyone else?

Back at you DA, I remember you debating whether to go back to Momentum for weed control. What have you decided?

Last edited by jfoxtrot9; 02-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Still kicking it around fox. I like tryclopyr in the formulation. TZone is great but much more expensive. Another option is reg 3 way trimec + turflon ester (triclopyr) so I am looking into that as well.

Another question, with y'all's first round, what % slow N do you use? I am thinking of going just straight mineral with my 17-0-0 product with prodiamine. Not putting on much N anyway, and could save a few bucks a bag.
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

Old 02-01-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

So if we are in Northwest Ohio. Any suggestions for a 5 application season?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithbilly View Post
So if we are in Northwest Ohio. Any suggestions for a 5 application season?
Might want to make your own thread. Thats pretty much considered hijacking a thread, not that you meant to but there is to much to say about it.

I use AM on round 1. but only put down .5 lbs N/a. I agree that the color comes from the late fall app. I put a fert with fe down then, but I am not sure how effective the iron actually is after a few weeks.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Iron is pretty short lived. I think it's been discussed on here about the actual effectiveness of iron on dry fertilzer. Anyone have any side by side comparisons on whether a 2%fe actually makes a noticeable difference in green/green up? Riggle will have to do a micro-research plot. DA, have you looked into a blend containing ammonium sulfate. AMS has a fast reponse at lower soil temps and supplies sulfur which can help with greening. It is less susceptible to volatilization and leaching than urea as well. Check your ph though. We typically have a little higher ph where I am. I've found earlier greenup to be related to grass variety and soil types as well. I've seen lawns that don't get any fertilizer green up before fertilized one, but I know some of them have better soil and newer grass varieties.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieperlc View Post
Iron is pretty short lived. I think it's been discussed on here about the actual effectiveness of iron on dry fertilzer. Anyone have any side by side comparisons on whether a 2%fe actually makes a noticeable difference in green/green up? Riggle will have to do a micro-research plot. DA, have you looked into a blend containing ammonium sulfate. AMS has a fast reponse at lower soil temps and supplies sulfur which can help with greening. It is less susceptible to volatilization and leaching than urea as well. Check your ph though. We typically have a little higher ph where I am. I've found earlier greenup to be related to grass variety and soil types as well. I've seen lawns that don't get any fertilizer green up before fertilized one, but I know some of them have better soil and newer grass varieties.
Im using a 3% iron on most apps except the app 1, and have noticed a darker green color than just a non-iron fert. The Iron green only lasts for 2 weeks or so then it kinda settles down. I have been looking into the AMS also but I am going to use it sparingly to track the results.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieperlc View Post
I'll investigate Ammonium Sulfate a little more thx.
What commercial ferts out there have this form of N in it?
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator