Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-28-2002, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I dislike fords. I know alot of you will disagree with me but i am against fords. I dont like the way the look and their reputations

And GM and Dodge LOOK better?????

Why would you not like the reputation of a Ford being a working mans truck??
Old 11-28-2002, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gravel Rat
If your gonna not buy a Ford buy a Chev/GMC their Cab and chassis trucks are just as good as a Ford I wouldn't buy a Dodge cab and chassis truck. Look on the road do you see many commercial used Dodge trucks like P+D flatdecks and Cube vans there is a reason why is they are junk.

Chrysler never was interested in building trucks for commercial purposes so they are not designed heavy enough so go buy yourself a Chevy. There isn't anything wrong with Ford trucks I have been using them for my trucking business for 10 years best truck ever made I don't like Dodge they are a joke for a truck.
Here ya go again Gravel Rat, showing your naivety. Come down to Texas, or anywhere in the midwest (can't speak of east or west coast). You will see about as many Dodges in use as commercial vehicles as Ford or Chevy. Which says a lot, considering how much smaller Chrysler is than Ford or GM. Of course, I'm only taking into account the F250/2500 and up, not the 1/2 tons.
The Dodges are not junk, and for my money, with the Cummins are a better truck than the Ford or GM. Not to say the Ford or GM are junk either, just not as good when you consider the engine IMO. Take the Cummins out of the equation, and I'd have a hard time choosing between any of the 3.
The only down side I have with Dodge is that they do not import from Mexico trucks heavier than 1 ton. Just cross the border and you'll see 4500/5500 Dodges all over the place. Why they don't import them is beyond me. They would be an excellent competitor to the Ford 450/550 if they would.
But if I was looking strictly for a dump truck, I'd have to give a long hard look at a Freightliner FL60/FL70.

Randy
Old 12-11-2002, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Dump truck opinion

Quote:
Originally posted by Superiorlandscaping
Alright lets change this up alittle bit. Enough on that old truck. What is your preference for new trucks. I have always used GMC for my dumps. They have always been extremely dependable and look great. I dislike fords. I know alot of you will disagree with me but i am against fords. I dont like the way the look and their reputations. I have a dodge ram 1500 sport 2000 right now for my personal truck. It is awesome. I love it. I cannot tell if I should make the switch to dodge dump trucks. THey have plenty of power options up to a v10. I think ford does too. I like to keep my fleet all the same kind. Let me know what you think..
I'm a long time fan of Chevy P/U's. I've had a string of them going back to about 1977. I think the comfort level of the Chevy p/u's beat out all the competition.

That said, for a medium duty WORK truck, I'm inclined to recommend Fords. My company owns mostly big tandem & triaxle trucks, Peterbilt, KW, Autocar, International for delivering our product (building & landscape stone) to customers.
We had 2 GMC's, single axle "Top Kicks", back in the early 80's, which held up to our constant max loads very well for quite a few years

About 2 years ago, we decided we needed a small dump, for all those dinky homeowner loads of 5 tons or less.
We bought a ford 550 Super Duty. That little truck has been great! Nice & manuverable in tight locations, but plenty tough enough to haul 5 tons at a shot over & over & over again. I would highly recommend the 550's if you don't need to haul payloads in excess of 5 tons.

If you need something a bit bigger, but not a full sized tandem, I think International has the best mid size truck. I have many customer's with Internationals, who max them out on a daily basis, with no problems. The local big rental center also has a fleet of Internationals. If a piece of equipment holds up well for a rental center, with all the associated abuse from renters, I think that's a great testimonial to their durability.

I personally wouldn't touch a new Dodge. I've heard to many horror stories about the trans & front suspension problems from owners of 3/4 tons with the V10.

David
Old 12-11-2002, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're happy with GMC, then get GMC!
Old 12-20-2002, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 1977 Chevy C65 four years ago. I paid 3500. I make over 50 percent of my income with that truck. Doesn't seem stupid to me. Paying 30 thousand for a truck???? Finding the wisdom there eludes me.I have replaced the clutch,tires battery and I did a pretty through tune up. All work I was able to do myself because the systems are easy to work on. I don't have the expertise or the thousands of dollars in testing equipment to fix a new vehicle. there is no way short of the government intervention that I will ever own any truck or car newer than A 1980'S model. New trucks are pretty and you all that want them can have them. Even if I won a million dollars I just rebuild my old one. Why because I can. Then I know its done right and will last me. I use to work in a bar just outside of Anderson IN. Big GM town. GM employees came in day after day laughing and bragging how they were on the clock getting paid to get drunk. Now GM's leaving town as fast as they can same drunks are crying and *itching. To bad so sad. No sympathy from me. GM Ford Dodge cane keep their over price NEW junk as far as I'M concerned.
I may have to fix something once in awhile but at least I can afford it. 180 dollars rebuilt my distributer and replaced my fuel pump and put two new head lights in my truck just yesterday. How much would it cost you guys with new trucks to have the same done? Don't just say It's new I don't have too either because unless you can afford to trade every few years you still have mechanical failures. As for warranty's well they charged you three to five times what the things worth so thats no bargain either. I love the way the new dodges look but at 30 to 50 thousand dollars I can own a fleet of trucks like mine for the price of one of those things. I also save on taxes,license plates, insurance it goes on and on.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

nice reply..I made that guy a pretty extreme offer about a week or two ago. He also has a 1 year old nice landscaping trailer. He had no intentions on selling but i made an offer of 2500 for the truck and trailer. He said no way. His argument was that he bought it for 2500 and then put all that new stuff on it. My argument was, thats nice but it doesnt make the value of the truck go up it puts its value where it is. I told him 1400 for the truck or 2500 for truck and trailer. He said nope. I told him to think it over and give me a call back. We will see how it goes. -tim
Old 12-20-2002, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And heres another Chevy, Ford, Dodge bashing party. At least they are not TOYOTAS!!!
Old 12-21-2002, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy J
Here ya go again Gravel Rat, showing your naivety. Come down to Texas, or anywhere in the midwest (can't speak of east or west coast). You will see about as many Dodges in use as commercial vehicles as Ford or Chevy. Which says a lot, considering how much smaller Chrysler is than Ford or GM. Of course, I'm only taking into account the F250/2500 and up, not the 1/2 tons.
The Dodges are not junk, and for my money, with the Cummins are a better truck than the Ford or GM. Not to say the Ford or GM are junk either, just not as good when you consider the engine IMO. Take the Cummins out of the equation, and I'd have a hard time choosing between any of the 3.
The only down side I have with Dodge is that they do not import from Mexico trucks heavier than 1 ton. Just cross the border and you'll see 4500/5500 Dodges all over the place. Why they don't import them is beyond me. They would be an excellent competitor to the Ford 450/550 if they would.
But if I was looking strictly for a dump truck, I'd have to give a long hard look at a Freightliner FL60/FL70.

Randy

That has not been the case any where I have ever lived Randy. It has always been Ford as the work truck of choice. Followed by chevy/gm with Dodge rarely seen in the work sites.

GraZZmaZter

Toyota only wishes they made a work truck.