Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ticolawnllc, those are my aeration prices. Aeration is aeration...no trimming, doesn't matter if it's hilly, its just based on square footage. I don't have seeding or mowing prices listed. I will base the price on per job, what I need to cut around, how much trimming, etc. Each one of those jobs would be different.
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Ticolawnllc, those are my aeration prices. Aeration is aeration...no trimming, doesn't matter if it's hilly, its just based on square footage. I don't have seeding or mowing prices listed. I will base the price on per job, what I need to cut around, how much trimming, etc. Each one of those jobs would be different.
So if you drive 30min to a job or 5min the price don't change? It's a tip if it helps great if not oh well.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a highlight that if I travel out of Rockford, then a small gas fee might be added. So if I travel 30 mins, I might add $5.00 to $10.00 to the price.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the notion to upgrade to a paid account to get rid of the advertising for Wix.

Now you mentioned that your primary item you are pushing is the Aerating, so it may not be a concern to you, but Wix's system of just one actual web page, it prevents you from keyword targeting individual pages for better SEO. The way Wix's editor builds up the page, ALL of your content is on the same page.

Also, while looking at the page as a search engine does, I noticed a link to the following page at the bottom: http://www.bestrockfordyards.com/page-0 I didn't notice any links to it on the flash version, but search engines are going to index that as well. (while the flash version doesn't have content, the non flash one does).

Some items that need fixed:

On the "Why Rick" tab, you have the word FROM repeated:
Quote:
To achieve maximum results, aerate when the ground is soft from from the previous day's rain or watering.
In your slideshow on the home page, you have a picture of an engine and the text that comes up for it says "Lawm Mover Engine.jpg"

Other than that, pretty nice site.

-Greg
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Greg, I am going to get those updated right away. Great catch!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rick if you are serious about your business you will D~U~M~P~ this site and purchase a website and build it yourself. I took a peak and you have enough skills to build a site that will get found by potential customers. check out my article I wrote just the other day about this very subject.

http://ringlawncare.blogspot.com/201...lawn-care.html
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 02-10-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks ringahding / Bryan. I liked your blog on "Make Time To Build A WordPress Lawn Care Website". And I understand you don't like "Wix" for web building...but my competition's websites like in your story are much worst than my "wix" site.

My niche will be advertising my business in Rockford's largest paper, The Register Star under the Service Section. Sounds normal...but where I think (and I will watch through my Google Analytics stats for my website, which is free) my ad will be different and set me apart from everyone else... I am going to list my website BestRockfordYards.com in big, bold, letters, and only that. Where most people list 4 to 5 lines explain they do this, telephone number, company name (very good and important stuff). I'm taking the approach....curiosity gets the cat....they will see my website "BestRockfordYards" and think, are these the cities best yards, who's got the best yards, and their curiosity will get the best of them. Next they will goto their computer and type in my website address. It's easy, simple, and once you say it a few times....very catchy! Try it....say Best(your city's name)Yards. People in your local area will relate to it and all you are doing is adding Best (your city you want to work in) then Yards. Now you've got yourself a great website that you can run your business though and use it to you advantage in selling you and your services.

Now I can use my website, which is not perfect, but it's easy, friendly, and to the point...which I think all website's should be and "Wix" has helped me establish that. So I happy with my start....but I am not satisfied yet...still a work in progress. But with the help of good constructive comment and help from other Lawnsite members with us sharing ideas and thoughts... I think everyone can win and grow their business.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
but my competition's websites like in your story are much worst than my "wix" site.
Ok, I know you are a work in progress, but just wanted to throw out there a reminder to never have this mentality when it comes to competitions sites. I have worked at a web development firm where more than one person needed a "rush job" as their competitors site had just been revamped to blow theirs away. Your competitor could be working with a design firm today to launch a new site next month.

I also think it is good you are using Google Analytics to track your site. So many people (stealing from RonCo here) "Set it and Forget it". Good use of a site is an ongoing analysis. (and displayed "hit counters" usually just don't do it when it comes to free)

I do like your idea with the domain too btw.

While you may want to stay with Wix's builder to get you up and running, once you are there, seriously give consideration into adapting it over to a site that is better built. Word press is a good option, big thing there is not to get overwhelmed by all the controls you get with it "out of the box".

Bryan, good article, one thing I would suggest adding along with the mentioning of looking at competitors' sites is a mention of what I call Burn-In Blindness. This is the issue that you stare at you own site so much working on it, and are in the industry you are building it for, it looks "right" to you.

This is why I come here, to be able help people learn. I've been on the other side with people paying tens of thousands of dollars (no joke) to get a site and not wanna know how it works. I like teaching people who want to learn.

-Greg
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Greg,

My Wix site is to get me up and going... get my name established better.

Yes, I will check out Word Press and start reading about its advantages (usually bigger programs=more options).

Love watching Google Analytics and tracking my hits, seeing what pages work better than other ones, and trying to figure out how to improve them.

Thank Greg for your comments and I will differently find you on Lawnsite, because I am always willing and wanting to improve my business. Thanks again!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A little back on the "wix" issue here, I had time to read the article Bryan linked to in his blog, which gave the review of Wix, and well, there is some inadequacies in it.

I did go to your site on my phone, and there IS a mobile version of your site which isn't just more than the <noscript> content. (although, large ad for Wix at the top was annoying, and no link to choose to go to the full site). Even if this was a feature added in the almost year that has gone by since the review, the person reviewing it obvious has never used an android phone, as they make it sound like flash doesn't work on an android. (I've been viewing flash on my phone since 2008 with my windows phone)

Mobile sites are getting so much more and more in need, and they need to be simple and fast, easy to get to what the user wants. An idea would be to see if you can put a QR code in the add with the URL to your mobile version. Then people that use codes can see your ad, point their phone at it and go right there!

-Greg