Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Utility company sending me a bill...need advice

So we broke a gas line oct 31, the utility company comes out and fixes. I get a bill today for $300. Guy never told me about a bill nor did I sign anything. He was there for an hour and the labor charge was $200....is this a load of crap or am I going to be forced to pay?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it wasn't marked, then no assuming you hand dug 30" on either side of the mark. If it was, then I do not know. Most likely though. You negligence, assuming it was your fault, causes the break and someone had to fix it, so you or someone has to pay
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are liable unless you called and had it located and it was not where it was supposed to be. In my area I call 811, (Call Sunshine) before I do any hardscape, landscape or irrigation. They locate for cable, telephone and FPL. You have to have the gas company locate seperately.Call Sunshine is free.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
So we broke a gas line oct 31, the utility company comes out and fixes. I get a bill today for $300. Guy never told me about a bill nor did I sign anything. He was there for an hour and the labor charge was $200....is this a load of crap or am I going to be forced to pay?
Posted via Mobile Device
Diamond; did you dig? If you did, and didn't call "No Cuts" @811 you are probably responsible.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
You are liable unless you called and had it located and it was not where it was supposed to be. In my area I call 811, (Call Sunshine) before I do any hardscape, landscape or irrigation. They locate for cable, telephone and FPL. You have to have the gas company locate seperately.Call Sunshine is free.
Didn't know you had to call the gas company separately, good to know. They are just starting to pull gas lines in my area. I never thought of it, I figured Sunshine/No Cuts (whatever) would do the location.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In Tulsa you are liable, unless you called for markings. 300 isn't bad either. I have heard of charges in the 1k, and some phone lines into the several k's.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not enough information here. No you don't have to call anyone but 811 unless 811 tells you too. I wouldn't pay anything. Let them contact you by phone and if you feel the need to pay it should be able to get it down to like $100
Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
In Tulsa you are liable, unless you called for markings. 300 isn't bad either. I have heard of charges in the 1k, and some phone lines into the several k's.
Chris

Yep you got off lucky. Pay the Bill and quit crying, it is the cost of a Business Education. You won't be digging again without calling for underground marking service.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Chris

Yep you got off lucky. Pay the Bill and quit crying, it is the cost of a Business Education. You won't be digging again without calling for underground marking service.
Ric I like crying though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

We call 811 before we dig 90% of the time. One property we have located several times. So if we know were not in the area with utility's we wont. One job we put in a bed area around a pool. 3 gas lines total (pool heater,generator,BBQ) leading to a underground tank. 811 did not locate for us.

We were informed gas lines should be 4' deep with a tape 2' down/above the gas line. Well the line arrived from 6" to a 1 1/2' deep. The tape resting on the line to just above. We also had a wire for the pool that cost several hundred just for the wire and no labor. We ended up removal/prep the area by hand. Then instead of a nice landscaped area around there pool. They now have an annual garden.
Loooooooooong story short.
No call to 811. I think you are responsible. If the line is marked wrong (tape), not deep enough, or not located properly. I'd stand my ground and not pay a dime. The installer or locator is responsible in our opinion.
Also got a friend that works at 811. Utility's are miss-marked often. Always take pics of the of the location before digging.
good luck!