Register free!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

ztr de thatcher

Have you ever tried the mibar ztr dethatcher? Ive used power rakes for 25 years and always laughed at the add on spring tooth tines that most of my competitors bolt on the front of there zero turn mowers. and then send their customers a bill for power raking.

But these mibar thatchers look like they are built well and they have me thinking.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm wondering the same thing. I will be purchasing a plow from them, and since it uses the same mount as a plow, with down pressure and similar cost as a jrco.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes those are a joke when compared to a rotating spring tine bar I have for my Bluebird S22 seeder [basically a power rake with a seed hopper in the back.

When spring tines are rotating on a reel with a total of 54 spring tines ....this has to be vastly more effective than a passive front tine unit on ZTR etc..

True dethatching is flail blades aggressively chewing into the turf crowns.

Power raking is what I do with my spring tine reel on my S22

What those front mount attachments do is better described as “Passive raking”. There is an obvious benefit over just mowing and frankly since it is less aggressive than running reels on power rake less damage is done to the crowns of the grass. Selling it AS “TRUE” dethatching or power racking is a joke IMO.

Just for kicks I aggressively spring tine raked a test section part of my own lawn last spring – on the other half I did a low mow in the 1.25” –1.5” range. Guess which bounced back quicker and greened up faster....?

The low mowed portion bounced back and greened up quicker.

The homeowner has it stuck in their head their lawn needs power raking and dethatching. Many LCO’s out there also have it stuck in their heads it is the best thing for the grass. Generally I have been unsuccessful when trying to talk potential clients out of power raking/dethatching in favor of aeration.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Yes those are a joke when compared to a rotating spring tine bar I have for my Bluebird S22 seeder [basically a power rake with a seed hopper in the back.

When spring tines are rotating on a reel with a total of 54 spring tines ....this has to be vastly more effective than a passive front tine unit on ZTR etc..

True dethatching is flail blades aggressively chewing into the turf crowns.

Power raking is what I do with my spring tine reel on my S22

What those front mount attachments do is better described as “Passive raking”. There is an obvious benefit over just mowing and frankly since it is less aggressive than running reels on power rake less damage is done to the crowns of the grass. Selling it AS “TRUE” dethatching or power racking is a joke IMO.

Just for kicks I aggressively spring tine raked a test section part of my own lawn last spring – on the other half I did a low mow in the 1.25” –1.5” range. Guess which bounced back quicker and greened up faster....?

The low mowed portion bounced back and greened up quicker.

The homeowner has it stuck in their head their lawn needs power raking and dethatching. Many LCO’s out there also have it stuck in their heads it is the best thing for the grass. Generally I have been unsuccessful when trying to talk potential clients out of power raking/dethatching in favor of aeration.
I would disagree on the effectiveness of a jrco front mount dethatcher.

It works great in the right program. Use it in two directions on the lawn, follow proper fert, watering, cutting during the season. Aeration in the fall and then repeat the cycle the following season.

Doing this keeps thatch under that 1/2" which is good for the lawn. No thatch is bad, more than a 1/2" is bad, inbetween is good.

The jrco style is good to maintain a lawn. Really helps fluff the lawn from snow/leaf season to start the spring growth.

A better conversation to have with a customer is why the thatch is so thick? Poor cutting practices?, overwatering? Too much fert?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

agree brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
I would disagree on the effectiveness of a jrco front mount dethatcher.

It works great in the right program. Use it in two directions on the lawn, follow proper fert, watering, cutting during the season. Aeration in the fall and then repeat the cycle the following season.

Doing this keeps thatch under that 1/2" which is good for the lawn. No thatch is bad, more than a 1/2" is bad, inbetween is good.

The jrco style is good to maintain a lawn. Really helps fluff the lawn from snow/leaf season to start the spring growth.

A better conversation to have with a customer is why the thatch is so thick? Poor cutting practices?, overwatering? Too much fert?
Posted via Mobile Device
I purchased a JRCO front mount aerator this year and let me tell you it is the best thing sinces sliced bread. It is great for fall overseeding and I think it aerates better than plug. It pungtures and loosens the soil while tossing loose soil over existing turf. Not good in mud, but semi dry soil is a go.

For real bad yards I have used in a cross thatch pattern and then overseed 6-9 pounds of seed per 1000. It tills and opens the ground. With a good fert program, you can turn a lack luster around in one season. Beats the hell out of walking.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

ztr mibar thatcher

Guys

Im still wondering if anyone has purchased one of these thatchers.

I know the in and outs of power rakeing, overseeding and aeration, just wondering if anyone bought and used the mibar thatcher.

Thanks for your help.