Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions: Scag, Hustler, Exmark

Hey guys, we are looking to upgrade one of our machines this year and switching from dixie chopper. I am looking for some opinions on a couple machines from guys in the northeast who have to deal with the same conditons I do and have to bag. I dont intend for this to turn into a bashing thread. I have seen all 3 machines and like some aspects of all 3. Heres where Im at:

-Scag Turf Tiger 35hp Briggs, 61" deck with clamshell bagger. I like scag cut from previous experience with w/b mowers. Any thoughts on cutting/bagging? Especially in wet conditions

-Hustler Super Z 37hp Kawasaki, 60" with NEW bac-vac. I know no one has experience with the new bac vac as it isnt available yet, but looking for opinions on cut quality, speed, etc. and again in wet grass too. New bac vac looks like it adds a lot of length to machine, and that i dont like.

-Exmark Lazer Z 29hp Kawasaki (I belive biggest non kohler engine) with the ultra vac bagger. 60" Deck. I dont like how long the bagger makes the mower and from what I have seen in pics the dump from seat looks cheezy. I dont also really care for the horizontal blower motor for the vac, though i am certianly open to new ideas if they work well. I am curious to know how well it bags, cuts etc again in the wet.

Any and all help would be great. So far scag and exmark are around the same price with hustler being extremely high priced (almost 3k more) in my area. Looking forward to a new season!!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same scag TT with the claim shell bagger. It works great on wet leaves and grass in fall clean ups. I can't say about during the season as I don't bag then. It works great for the clean ups. On the 35 briggs expect 1.5 to 1.8 gph, but you will always have enough power.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
I have the same scag TT with the claim shell bagger. It works great on wet leaves and grass in fall clean ups. I can't say about during the season as I don't bag then. It works great for the clean ups. On the 35 briggs expect 1.5 to 1.8 gph, but you will always have enough power.
Posted via Mobile Device
The dixie chopper we use now is pretty close to that in terms of fuel consumption. How do you like the bagger? Built well, easy to take blower unit on/off? Does it clog easy? Briggs looks plenty powerful!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The claim shell is well built. The blower keep greased and its all good.

I only have it clogged if I filled it up and packed the tube by not paying attention. There is not a good way to tell if it is full besides experience. Going to get a clear hose next time which will help a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info on the scag. Would love to hear from some of the other users of the other brands as well as scag. Sponsor forum fpr hustler finally put up new bac vac pics. not sure how I like it. Looks far less compact than the older unit. Love to hear you guys opinions. Thx in advance as always.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can't go wrong with the Scag TT. The blower can be taken off in a NY minute. As mentioned, it will clog if you don't pay attention. I don't have the clam shell kit but the 3 bag kit. I did have to replace the blower fan when I sucked up a ratchet strap and it wedged into the housing and bent a fin.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use to cut in Ohio and now in NW Montana. I'm also purchasing in the spring. They're all good mowers and on my list as well. I would wait as long as you can and demo the Hustler since it's new. The warranty and the pump system look to be second to none. The rest of the mower is super tough. The deck were they're weak point IMO but that changed in 2011 so it may be the best out there. Time will tell. Another you may consider looking at is the Bad Boy XP even though they're ugly. I've read some good reviews. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Given the 3 options I would go with the X. I've demod a superZ and hate the way they cut. Also the Scag you're talking about has a Briggs engine on it. Sorry but IMO Briggs WILL NOT stand up to real commercial use. Sorry but that's my experience with riding/push mowers. I wouldn't trust any machine with a B/S.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I use to cut in Ohio and now in NW Montana. I'm also purchasing in the spring. They're all good mowers and on my list as well. I would wait as long as you can and demo the Hustler since it's new. The warranty and the pump system look to be second to none. The rest of the mower is super tough. The deck were they're weak point IMO but that changed in 2011 so it may be the best out there. Time will tell. Another you may consider looking at is the Bad Boy XP even though they're ugly. I've read some good reviews. Good luck.
where did you see those good reviews at . i would like to check them out. out of the three he asked about toro/exmark have the best cut. hustler has best punps and ground speed. we will see if new deck makes a difference, tt is not really an option. they are slow tanks.i would love a new cheetah though
Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torotorotoro View Post
where did you see those good reviews at . i would like to check them out. out of the three he asked about toro/exmark have the best cut. hustler has best punps and ground speed. we will see if new deck makes a difference, tt is not really an option. they are slow tanks.i would love a new cheetah though
I'm still not sold on them. Check out RetroDog. I believe he's a Texas dealer with lots of lines. Here's a thread link he weighed in on and I've seen others. This is just the first to come to mind.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=367182&page=5