Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-26-2002, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make them o buy them?

Do you think I 'd get more business if I had professional business cards so when they see the cards they know this guy does a professional job?

THANKYOU for any feedback:blob3:
Old 11-26-2002, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Addict

Business cards is a must, but that is not proof of professionalism. It symbolizes professionalism, but if you do professional work, that is what keeps you in business. Business cards get your name out there, they get you and your business recognized.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Depends upon how well you can design and print your own card.

Personally I think I can design a card just as well as a "professional". BUT, the one thing I couldn't do was print out the raised lettering which I really think makes a card stand out.
So for that reason alone, I went with the professional.
I designed the card exactly how I wanted it to read, then I took it to him to have him print it.

Now next year going into our 5th year of business, we want a new look. So it's time to retire this card and start with something fresh. I will design it again, but I still want the raised lettering.

A professional made card doesn't guarantee professional work. But it does present a good first impression.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go to vistaprint.com

free 250 cards..very reasonable upgrades...
Old 11-30-2002, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I, personally don't like the cards that you print yourself. The cardstock is alot thinner, and the perforated edges look very unprofessional. I can spot those at first glance. If a customer can spot it, the professionalism goes out the window. Multi-level marketers make their own all the time, maybe ten or twenty at a time, but how professional is that?
Old 12-01-2002, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone got a copy of your biz card i could see?
Im going to the print shop next week and looking for ideas.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:49 AM
Banned

It looks like vistaprint reduced the number of design options, nothing very good now in my opinion.

Getting cards printed up professionally really isn't that expensive. Shop around a bit. I used MinuteMan.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

as said above, it is the very first impression the prospect has of you....this is one cost corner I would not cut short...have a pro make them for you...I've seen buches of self made and the majority do look home grown
Old 12-01-2002, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I mentioned in another thread on this same topic, iprint.com, a company with a wonderful program that allows you total control of the design of the business card. You can see exactly what your card will look like before you order. You can move graphics and print. You can import graphics and choose the font you want. You can change the size of the graphics and print.

It is hard to imagine any business card design program that could be better.

If you check iprint.com out, be sure to look at the contemporary (not business contemporary) cards. This will really set your card apart from others.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 12-02-2002, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

A couple of things to consider whether you create the cards or have someone else create them for you.

Your cards should be an extension of your marketing program. It should look like your signs, flyers, brochures, etc. Use the same typefaces and colors that you use on the rest of your material.

Don't try and get too fancy or do too much. Keep it simple. Use simple graphics and type and spend your money on the paper. The best way to leave a lasting impression is to print your cards on heavy weight paper. First, it lets everyone know that they weren't printed on a home printer and it gives the impression that your business is solid and substantial.