Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It might be a little early for you and a remote. Service is a great way to start. I personally don't think customers should be billed for your learning curve. I gave away a lot of time in the beginning for the opportunity to learn and keep the customer. I know of people though that billed several hours due to incompetence on a job I could knock out in an hour. In most cases finding a valve with a 521 and getting it repaired shouldn't take more than two hours.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Huzza! You, Kiril and Boots are the last on the planet to use that faded term. Talk about old and in the way.
Dude .... at least I don't say "dink" anymore.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't plan to charge for my inexperience. This isn't a 100% new thing to me because I worked for another company when I was young (and because I would occasionally fix stuff if we broke it or it was a family friend, etc.). However, on the bigger stuff I plan on charging just enough to keep me from not wasting my time and not wasting the customer's money. I take it most of you guys almost never do estimates on repairs because you never know what you are gonna uncover? It seems like most people just charge by the hour except when it comes to new installs. Is there any good method to providing a new install estimate? say x dollars per square foot. or maybe linear foot once designed?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buy some marlex ells
Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My two cents".........stick with an hourly rate on repairs. In time you'll develop the experience to give rough estimates.
I'm assuming you are required to do a design for new installs? For the first few you need to get out a ruler and measure every bit of pipe and every component and get your actual cost then decide on a markup and install price. Whatever you do avoid the temptation to race to the bottom on pricing. Learn the products. Learn what a good system is. Learn to sell it.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffWork View Post
Well I already have two million insurance I'll just need to adjust my policy to include irrigation. Bonding is a whole new deal for me. How much is required? The other thing is this "remote". I have a valve finder now (a Greenlee). Is that what you are talking about?I decided to get it for practice cause I knew I wanted to pursue this so I studied my families stuff, and figured I'd use it later. My parents have a FUBARed sprinkler system so I have some experience.

I also already have a multimeter for working on houses. Is there anything else I need for small time stuff? In the long run I want to get another trailer and set it up for this biz and get maybe an SK650. Plans... Anyway, what are your recommendations?

Sorry for not asking more pointed questions, but I'm new and really excited.
You dont need a remote, as nice as Pete is... he has gone to the dark side (REP)

I install hundreds of systems a year, and have never owned a remote.

You don't need to be bonded until you are into the commercial work... and even then usually you will be working as a sub under the contractors policy.

DONT BUY CHIT YET! I started with a shovel, truck and milk crates for parts.

Most of all... God bless your soul... and think of me when you start thinking...OH CRAP
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffWork View Post
I don't plan to charge for my inexperience. This isn't a 100% new thing to me because I worked for another company when I was young (and because I would occasionally fix stuff if we broke it or it was a family friend, etc.). However, on the bigger stuff I plan on charging just enough to keep me from not wasting my time and not wasting the customer's money. I take it most of you guys almost never do estimates on repairs because you never know what you are gonna uncover? It seems like most people just charge by the hour except when it comes to new installs. Is there any good method to providing a new install estimate? say x dollars per square foot. or maybe linear foot once designed?
DONT CHARGE PER ZONE. Charge by the job, not by the zone. Go ahead and charge full price, just do not charge them for time wasted learning how to do something.

What are the LI #'s up to now? I saw 19500+ the other day.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
You dont need a remote, as nice as Pete is... he has gone to the dark side (REP)

I install hundreds of systems a year, and have never owned a remote.

You don't need to be bonded until you are into the commercial work... and even then usually you will be working as a sub under the contractors policy.

DONT BUY CHIT YET! I started with a shovel, truck and milk crates for parts.

Most of all... God bless your soul... and think of me when you start thinking...OH CRAP
I'm so wounded...but then again I didn't have a remote either when I did installs. I got one when I became full time service and decided paying some unreliable boring yahoo to stand at the controller was for the birds. When you start thinking about a helper for service work then you need a remote.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
I'm so wounded...but then again I didn't have a remote either when I did installs. I got one when I became full time service and decided paying some unreliable boring yahoo to stand at the controller was for the birds. When you start thinking about a helper for service work then you need a remote.
If I were doing service on large comm. and median type systems a remote would be worth it's weight in gold.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
Yup, that reminds me I have an appointment with the urologist next week.
Gonna study for that test?