Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing Spring Start Ups.

How did yall figure your price?

What things you do when you turn a system on? if there are things broken you just fix them & bill, or ask customer?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Time and Material
Old 03-11-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Charge a Service Call First
Identify any problems. Bring to attention of customer and quesstimated amount to fix. Remind the customer that once these problems are fixed, you may run into a few more problems. Fix the known problems and indentify any new problems if present. Quote again and fix. Bill for everything upon completion. Don't wait for your money unless cash flow is not a concern for you.

Always try to keep Customer aware of issues along the way. Keep them in the loop. You don't want any surprises when you hand them a bill for double what they expected to pay... :-o
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Time and Material
im not worried about material just use the best.

how much is your time?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I start the system first...and as you do you visually inspect all heads for proper coverage/damage.

I won't automatically fix anything without consent from the homeowner. Irrigation repairs can get expensive so it's good to check with the homeowner before.

On starting a system...the norm. in my service area is $60-$65 for a 1/4 acre residential. Easy money...

Repair work...around $70-$75 per hour, plus parts/materials.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Some of the bigger companies in my area charge 95-100 an hours. Seems high, there is also no materials.

Never done it to charge people. Looking for the best advice to jump into it without being blind.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some people will do a flat rate, most don't. I find it difficult to give a flat rate for many reasons. What if it's 2 zones, and what if it's 30 zones? If you price by zone, what if the zones are 2 heads each, and what about 15 heads each? How about the inevitable "where the eff is the friggin' on/off for this place" as you hunt around for 20 minutes then find out it's behind a "hidden panel" in the home office, or in a drop ceiling.

As others said, charge time and materials. I find it easier to just make minor repairs as I go along, and I let them know before I start going through the system. I don't want to ring the doorbell every time I find something new that needs fixing. If it's broken, it needs fixing for it to work. I get the system up and running, then I will tell them about the small leak in the manifold, the 7 heads that are crooked or low, the backflow that does not meet codes, the mix/match of assorted heads, the inefficiencies of the system. If there is a major problem - backflow cracked from freezing, entire manifold broken apart, etc, then I will let them know before making repairs. But for minor head and nozzle and leak issues, I fix as I go along.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsyscapes View Post
Some of the bigger companies in my area charge 95-100 an hours. Seems high, there is also no materials..
That price is high for the customers that you do not want, the customers looking for a bottom dollar price.

The customers that you do want will not flinch at that price. Since you are the professional, know what you need to charge. If you say something needs fixed and they doubt your word, walk away fast.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Turn ons are a service call , time and materials .