Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

How to address this type of customer?

I had a guy with 3.5 acres of lawn just request a bid for bi-weekly mowing. I have an idea on how to address this guy and still get the bid but just wanted to hear how you guys would sell your lawn care service to this type of customer.

FYI- We have fast growth periods here in northern Illinois when weekly mowing doesn't allow the clippings to settle in without going over the lawn twice.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3.5 acres in northern Illinois should not be mowed on a bi weekly schedule unless it is rough field and the customer is aware that there will be windrows. I would not take this on a bi weekly basis if it a manicured lawn, period. You know as well as I that you will spend much more time trying to make this look good by triple cutting (probably more) in the spring when it is heavy growth. I would also find out if this is a property where you are controlling the fertilization or does he have an N-Bomber come thru and really make life hell.

As a rule I will not do bi-weekly unless it is a small rough cut lawn. Its not worth it even at premium prices because of time spent and the beating the equipment takes to try and salvage an overgrown mess. Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with mowed, although there is a price that does make it worth it it just depends on the price.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

This type of mowings tough on the equipment too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since starting my biz 3 years ago, I only had 2 bi-weeklies. I don't do either property anymore, but one was a 2 acre lot with about 1.25 acres of cutting and trimming. It was bahia, so in the summer, 2 weeks growth was a jungle. I had to cut high on the first pass, and then shorter on the second. There was tons of clippings and it was a big pita. Plus if it rained a lot, the yard might have went 3 weeks before cutting. All in all, i made decent money, but the wear and tear and annoyance wasn't worth it. People paid on time and were nice. I needed the account since I was new, but I would NEVER do a bi-weekly anymore. If these people irrigate and fertilize, they are just being cheap. The place I had didn't do either so it was manageable, but still a PITA.