Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this normal?

I have a new client who asked me to clean out my mower deck so no weed seeds get in his grass and to have super sharp blades for his lawn. He has a well taken care of lawn so I kind of understand his concern.

He told me the last guy had dull blades and the grass had white tips and I did agree with him that the blade should always be sharp when cutting and I sharpen my blades every three days or so.

I've never heard of washing the deck to prevent weed seeds from other lawns getting in his lawn.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can understand the concern, we always blow off the machines after each property to reduce the opportunity of transferring weeds, but washing the deck BEFORE I cut your property? I don't think so.

And yes, ALWAYS sharp blades!!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I have a new client who asked me to clean out my mower deck so no weed seeds get in his grass and to have super sharp blades for his lawn. He has a well taken care of lawn so I kind of understand his concern.

He told me the last guy had dull blades and the grass had white tips and I did agree with him that the blade should always be sharp when cutting and I sharpen my blades every three days or so.

I've never heard of washing the deck to prevent weed seeds from other lawns getting in his lawn.
Yes it sounds like he's a little picky but with a nice lawn i don't blame him. Yes you can carry disease from one lawn to another. Say you mow one lawn full of weeds you can carry it to the next lawn you mow. so it's always a good idea to clean out from under the deck, and your wright as far as the dull blades. Mow one week and it looks good and when you come back the next the tips of the grass are all white from tearing not cutting.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never thought about seeds transferring from a lawn full of weeds to a well taken care of lawn.

I did agree with him about it and he did seem to be a little picky but I don't blame him if he spent a lot of money on his lawn.

I always try to keep my blades sharp and I assured him of that. I actually have already cut a property that the guy he hired before me had super dull blades and left the white tips.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I have never thought about seeds transferring from a lawn full of weeds to a well taken care of lawn.

I did agree with him about it and he did seem to be a little picky but I don't blame him if he spent a lot of money on his lawn.

I always try to keep my blades sharp and I assured him of that. I actually have already cut a property that the guy he hired before me had super dull blades and left the white tips.
Same here i just try to keep good sharp blades and i usally just blow the machines off before going to the next job.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer ask me to wipe my blades with alcohol before starting her lawn ,she supplied everything and it only took a few seconds and she was happy to pay an extra $20.00 for this .
Old 02-04-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I completely understand his concerns for weed transfer, BUT make sure you figure that into the price. For me, he would get what I call the crazy price. Because you more than likely will have to cut his first in the day, unless you clean the deck out after doing some lawns, which isn't something I would ever do on a 90+ degree day, especially on the road.

Even then, weeds will get transferred into the lawn not caused by you, unless he spends top dollar on treatments, fert, and irrigation. Make sure he's mindful of that.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 4 larger properties that are all weeds that I have had since I started. I try to get those done last during the week and I always clean out the deck afterwards. I also keep a 2 gallon weed sprayer in my truck during the summer so that if i mow a yard with a fungus, I will spray underneath really good before I go to the next property that does not have it. It may not do anything, but I feel it should, so I will keep doing it. Another thing I have done is made requirements for my customers. ALL of my customers except for those 4 mentioned at the beginning have a weed control program in place by me or another reputable company. (not Trugreen)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ijustwantausername View Post
I completely understand his concerns for weed transfer, BUT make sure you figure that into the price. For me, he would get what I call the crazy price. Because you more than likely will have to cut his first in the day, unless you clean the deck out after doing some lawns, which isn't something I would ever do on a 90+ degree day, especially on the road.

Even then, weeds will get transferred into the lawn not caused by you, unless he spends top dollar on treatments, fert, and irrigation. Make sure he's mindful of that.
Thanks for the heads up! I will try to cut his lawn first and remind him that weeds will still get into his lawn not caused by me. Just to cover my butt!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had one high end customer ask for my deck and blades to be rinsed off before i would mow his lawn. I did it because he was a very nice, good customer. Thats the only one that ever asked for it.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator