Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Estimiating by the acre?

Hello i was wondering how you estimate by the acre? I have a couple of big bids that i am working on. Going by the acre sounds like the easiest way for customers to understand. I am working on a bid for a 5 acre lot commercial. All open area expect for around the building. I believe it takes me about 2 hours per acre. What is the math formula to figure this out?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmann_lawn View Post
Hello i was wondering how you estimate by the acre? I have a couple of big bids that i am working on. Going by the acre sounds like the easiest way for customers to understand. I am working on a bid for a 5 acre lot commercial. All open area expect for around the building. I believe it takes me about 2 hours per acre. What is the math formula to figure this out?
What are you mowing with? A 34" mower going 5MPH will mow 1.5 acres per hour at 80% efficiency. You either need bigger machines, or pass on the jobs.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if i get the job i will get a gravely 60'. I have the credit and a co signer. just need to know the formula you guys use for commercial jobs. i was thinking $1 per min.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its for a municipality 38 lawns no more than 6 acres. working on the bid tonight
Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
What are you mowing with? A 34" mower going 5MPH will mow 1.5 acres per hour at 80% efficiency. You either need bigger machines, or pass on the jobs.
It's obvious he doesn't know how to figure his time on a job. I do a 3 acre commercial property with ditch lines, drainage ditches and terrain changes everywhere. Not a flat place on the property plus 25min trimming and I'm done in under 2hrs.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how do you figure the cost for that? I just do residential for now but i thought it would be worth it to put a bid in. I usually do 1 per min no less than $30.00 a lawn.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you bid by the acre you will lose money. You have to bid by the hr i.e- how long will it take to mow+how long it will take to trim+how long it will take to blow off= total hrs x your hourly rate. You could have one property that is one acre wide open, and you could have one acre with fences, trees, retaining walls and buildings on it, if you bid by the acre you will loose money on the one with all the obstacle's. No offense, but you seem to be getting in over your head, this is the reason the market is in a slump. Uneducated people lowballing properties because they dont know how to accurately bid them and they dont know what their overhead is.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in school for horticulture-landscape. I am getting educated i just thought this would be a great opportunity. 5 1/2 acres i have $180.00 with 15-20 min of trimming. Does that sound right or to high?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No one can tell you what its worth, everyone has different overhead. If your making money then go with it. I hate to break it to you though, but municipalities usually go pretty cheap.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yep that's what i thought. i pretty much have no over head at the moment. truck, trailer & handhelds are all paid off. Just need to finance a mower. I was thinking if i got this job i would have the mower all paid off by the time the season is over. Next year i would just be making money!