Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
tyler_mott85's Avatar
tyler_mott85 tyler_mott85 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 584
Class 5 Trucks

Looking for information on Class 5 Trucks. looking for a payload of 10,000+ but under 26,000 gvwr.

Looked at the Isuzu NRR earlier and I believe the Dodge 5500's fit the bill. Just wondering what, if any of, you use. Would be putting a 12-14ft dumping bed on it and carrying up to 10cu yds of material while pulling an enclosed trailer.

Any info you guys have is appreciated.

Oh the day dreams are fun!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Kelly's Landscaping's Avatar
Kelly's Landscaping Kelly's Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Milford CT
Posts: 3,653
I have the Dodge 4500 and have like a 7k payload on that, the 5500 I think is 11k before you add the bed. That's as big as the dodges go around 19000 gvw if you want 26000 your going to have to bump up to a f650 or the gmc/chevy 6500 but I don't even know if they make them any more. There is always international if you want the want 26000.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 AM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,142
I have a 19,500 gvw F550 that can carry 10,400 pounds. It has an 11' contractors box. You do have to check because there are some 17,500 gvw 550's out there so you couldn't carry as much.

I don't know what some of the low profile medium duty(25,999#) weight empty? If they are fairly light they could carry some nice loads and still be under CDL(in theory...).
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,112
Dont forget it needs to have a low enough GVW that when you hook the trailer to it you wont be over 26k. If your trailer has 5200lb axles that limits you to something thats rated under 15,600lbs.
__________________
Hutchinson, Kansas
Kansas Certified 3b Applicator
Mowers-Trucks-Trailers-Snow Equipment-Application Equipment-Etc

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Dont forget it needs to have a low enough GVW that when you hook the trailer to it you wont be over 26k. If your trailer has 5200lb axles that limits you to something thats rated under 15,600lbs.
WTF does axle ratings have to do with the price of tea in china?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
WTF does axle ratings have to do with the price of tea in china?
If a trailer has two 5200 lb axles it's gvw is 10,400. If it has 3500 lb axles it's gvw is 7k. State troopers count lug nuts on roadside inspections rather then look at the serial number plate.
__________________
Hutchinson, Kansas
Kansas Certified 3b Applicator
Mowers-Trucks-Trailers-Snow Equipment-Application Equipment-Etc

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
If a trailer has two 5200 lb axles it's gvw is 10,400. If it has 3500 lb axles it's gvw is 7k.
Wrong.

GVWR often does not = sum of the GAWR.

Most trailers with 5200's don't have a GVWR of 10,400. MOst are 10k even. Allowing them to be towed with trucks up to 26k GVWR and still be under CDL.

ps I think you mean GVWR not GVW.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 AM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Wrong.


ps I think you mean GVWR not GVW.
I WILL agree with that. Still pretty sure I'm right about the lugnut thing though...
__________________
Hutchinson, Kansas
Kansas Certified 3b Applicator
Mowers-Trucks-Trailers-Snow Equipment-Application Equipment-Etc

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 AM
pitrack pitrack is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Dont forget it needs to have a low enough GVW that when you hook the trailer to it you wont be over 26k. If your trailer has 5200lb axles that limits you to something thats rated under 15,600lbs.
That's how it is in NE too. I remember this because I always figured a 5500 would be best but then if you pull a 10k trailer you are over the 26k limit. So really if you're pulling any trailer worth a crap maybe a 4500 would be better so you don't have to mess with CDL.
__________________
www.CavanaughLandEscapes.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I WILL agree with that. Still pretty sure I'm right about the lugnut thing though...
Nope, you're still wrong. LOL

Counting lugs still don't tell you sh!t. Axles can be derated too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
That's how it is in NE too. I remember this because I always figured a 5500 would be best but then if you pull a 10k trailer you are over the 26k limit. So really if you're pulling any trailer worth a crap maybe a 4500 would be better so you don't have to mess with CDL.
If the trailer is only 10k then the limit before CDL is 36k.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.07697 seconds with 7 queries