Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan to grow your outfit where you need a 26K Gross Combined weight rating, I say it's time to just bite the bullet and get a CDL. I got mine and I tow with a Durango! I rarely go over 10K gross and am eyeballing a new HD, but if I ever need a larger truck than that, I don't have to wait to go over 26K.

Class B is useless, unless you can find a used school bus in decent shape and convert the back 20 feet to flat bed space and throw on a pintle hook. Even then you'd have to take into account any tight turns with the 'school bus effect'.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Or you could just buy a flatbed.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 02-26-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a school bus converted to seat 8-10 passengers, and the rest was a flat deck. The bus was painted flat black so knowingly it was sitting in someones yard and was purchased on the cheap. If the bus had air brakes it could be good for 23K gross.... If you have a welding shop or know someone that's an added bonus.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Shouldn't you base your information on what the State Trooper says, since he'll be the guy writing you tickets? What's right or wrong doesn't matter as much as what will get you ticketed for, does it?
I knew a guy who did long haul, and I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. It was a ticket given to him in Alabama. He didn't know what the problem was when he was pulled over as the speed limit was right on to his truck/gps speed. The officer couldn't find anything wrong, and wrote a ticket up for an unsecured pillow.