Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
My input would be to start your own thread asking these questions. You said you searched but I am fairly sure there is over 1000 threads on the subjects you brought up. FYI-if your shooting from the hip with out years of experience you will be gone before you know it.
Thanks. What I meant by "shooting from the hip" was if I see a lawn that's 1/3 acre of uninterrupted turf, its a no brainer, $65.00. If it's multi level with a hillside, barriers, little sections etc. the price will vary depending. Don't want to under cut the industry OR over price either. Some of us "have it" and some of us don't. I worked a handful of years in the Tree business as a ground grunt. I can price any tree anywhere and nail it exactly every single time. How? By the knowledge I've gained throughout the years of asking questions.

My neighbor has an 80' oak in her back yard. We live in a tight quartered neighborhood on quarter acre lots. When her grandson asked me off the hook what it would cost...I told him 8 grand. He liked to drop! He said all wide eyed and frazzled with intensity, "That's EXACTLY what every tree guy she got an estimate from said". So "shooting from the hip" was a way of saying "I'm not going to waste customers time by trying to shine them on." I'll simply allow my confidence, knowledge and appearance to 'sell' my services as I give them a fair market price. I'll get PLENTY of customers but will never "kiss a--" in order to do so.