Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Small nursery for sale

I was approached today by the local small nursery guy here in my town. He is third generation that had this and they have been floaten the past couple years. The place in old, outdate, equiopment is worn - two NH TC33 D - about 5000 hours a piece - old dump truck they bought from me a few years ago which is why I sold it cuzz it was old, cehvy 1/2 ton with about 200K, ford 3/4 diesel with 180K two trailers which look awful, some nursery stock, fertilizzer, etc.

Now my story is - full service lanwcare/landscaping. I get all my material at wholeseller, plants, bushes, block, etc. Run 5 exmarks, 6 wb, and a 3 WAMS. Mowing 1000K yard to 40 acre complexes. Alot of spraying, etc.

He wants out - he gave his residential snow list to do but he is keeping his commercial - said he needed something to do for the winter.

His office is nothing more than a sloped roof 24x18 plywood shack. His green house is about shot, his shop is a 24 x 32 garage that they moved in which the garage door no longer works. There name and reputation has kept him there and in this state. They always did good work but never ventured out of the box on landscapes.

Is it worth the buyout ( being you dont know terms) or better to say this is it, purchase land, build new, invest in myself, family, business and town and start a small scale nursery? But with that said where do you draw the line? Nursry stock, or nik-naks, or floral shop ( which only one in town) Everything else I feel were doing already.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting this has come up. I'm in the same boat. I want to start a retail center as there is really only one in town of 50-60000 people. a small one in an area that isn't growing (about 3 miles away between this and another city) is looking at selling and wants me to buy it. Turn key ready to go. I'm thinking of opening closer to the citys hub bub and I think I prob would get more customers but at a lot higher investment. I'm wondering if the higher investment would give me any more profit in the long run. Understand and I know the local garden center has fallen off due to the box stores. But they don't have the knowledge and the quality including the B & B. I also do landscaping the box stores don't. The other garden Center is the only well known landscaper but a lot of people don't like them & I see a lot of companies coming from 30 miles away to landscape in our area because of this.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You talk about the location needing updating. The question I have is what sort of location is it? It in a high traffic area, and easy access?

Upading wouldn't be all bad.

I guess if the location was good then you'd be buying the blue sky of the clients, reputation. It would give you a foundation for a solid nursery and retail items. What would your competition be for a nursery? And ask the same question about a flower shop.

If you were to invest in new facility, procure good stock, and make other updates it might start turning a profit after a while. It might a good investment that you could spin off after 3 to 5 years or another division for growth.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-26-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am now thinking of getting a 2 acre plot of land - hiway frontage, next to a new commcerical area in town. The old landscape place just wont do - ie - they have a "office" that has wood floors that is it - bascially build like a back yard shed. They have a few old doubel garages that act as there sheds and two small greenhouses. They to are located on a hiway (different though) and a railroad. There are limits to what can be place on this property. No wonder he has so many trees planted.

So therefore with economic stimulous from county and our town with new construction< new business, (not buying old one out) we can get some money out on the table. So I am looking at a new shop as well at this point.

Building a 80 wide by 100 long shop by 20 sidewalls. I would like to connect a greenhouse structure like N E X U S.

Any ideas to build upon?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would you put your whole operation at one location? With the sound of the current operation you were looking at buying this would seem that building a new center would be better for you.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes whole opt under one location. Currently I have two location - one is town and another shop in a town 30 miles away. - Mainly lawn care, psraying/fert/ snow removal and maintanence work. in my town we do everything but I do not retail. I operate out of my storage units - I have a few units with no walls, open area for stuff but it is a hassle. My other shop is 70 x 90 all heated with in floor heat and just a nice shop. So here with thid guy going out, I was thinking just go all new. Better location. Economical development funds from our town and county, but maybe see his mowing/snow list and offer x for it. His equipment to me is junk. 5000 hours tractors, 15000 payloader, 200K plus trucks, I dont need the headache. Besides the payloader I already have enough equipment to handle the added work load.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Buy the mowing list and equipment. Worst case sell off the equipment that is not needed or wore out. Or scrap out the junk, with scrap prices that might be the better option.

Even if you were to get the real estate, tear down down the buildings and clean it up and put it on the market again. I am guessing the land would be worth more with it cleaned up.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I here ya.
Going to depend on his asking price - which at this point is rather inflated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Goodwill and blue sky is highly overrated.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. Especially on this deal. If I can come to terms with past owner, give him x amount for mow list, snow list and some beat up equipment (which I may in turn junk, resell or part it out) and take over him left over inventory - garden fertilizers, etc that is in his store now (which isn't alot) and his dirt pile. From there he can sell his property on his own. I move to new location, new name, and get to work!