Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

i would like to post an update on this topic, i have changed my tune...somewhat....i have worked my wheeled dingo alot and saw a need to upgrade to a bobcat s70 (463) from my 322 dingo, plowing alot (4+ miles )of sidewalks gets old on a stand on dingo in a snowmobile siut!!

while a mini skid is very durable and super usefull for residential yards, homeowners, light to medium commercial, when you step into the heavy duty end the additional speed, weight, breakout force, parts availability, and dealer support of the main stream larger machines is invaluable. did i mention a cab and heat???

i will be selling my dingo and all attachments but not because of lack of performance..my needs have exploded way beyond the mini skids ability.

so to answer the op question it depends on your needs, if it is 75% of commercial (heavy duty) or less then mini skid,
if you need heavy duty 80% of the time or more, with a cab and heat and will be asking the maximum or close to it of the machine alot then skid steer.
hope this helps
Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread lightly services View Post
i would like to post an update on this topic, i have changed my tune...somewhat....i have worked my wheeled dingo alot and saw a need to upgrade to a bobcat s70 (463) from my 322 dingo, plowing alot (4+ miles )of sidewalks gets old on a stand on dingo in a snowmobile siut!!

while a mini skid is very durable and super usefull for residential yards, homeowners, light to medium commercial, when you step into the heavy duty end the additional speed, weight, breakout force, parts availability, and dealer support of the main stream larger machines is invaluable. did i mention a cab and heat???

i will be selling my dingo and all attachments but not because of lack of performance..my needs have exploded way beyond the mini skids ability.

so to answer the op question it depends on your needs, if it is 75% of commercial (heavy duty) or less then mini skid,
if you need heavy duty 80% of the time or more, with a cab and heat and will be asking the maximum or close to it of the machine alot then skid steer.
hope this helps
Makes sense for your application. Congrats.

Did you ever consider a PT30? Slightly faster than the S70, more ROC, higher lift height, more reach, much more stable, can climb curbs and stairs, more traction, doesn't tear up lawns, more ground clearance, more hp. It is wider (48"), but still plenty narrow for sidewalks. I have pushed snow with both, and the PT30 runs circles around the S70(463) pushing snow...and it has a bigger heated cab too.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Makes sense for your application. Congrats.

Did you ever consider a PT30? Slightly faster than the S70, more ROC, higher lift height, more reach, much more stable, can climb curbs and stairs, more traction, doesn't tear up lawns, more ground clearance, more hp. It is wider (48"), but still plenty narrow for sidewalks. I have pushed snow with both, and the PT30 runs circles around the S70(463) pushing snow...and it has a bigger heated cab too.
i believe the pt30 is a terex?? rebranded asv i believe??
for me the asv undercarrage is a major weak point. componets wear out fast, and are ridiculously expensive to replace. i like the bobcat wheeled ones because of the higher ground pressure it affords for plowing purposes.

what is the weight of the pt30?? that was a concern for me i had a s100 for a week and decided on the s70 instead 1200 lbs lighter and just as strong for pushing snow.

the clincher for me is traction on ice...tracks and ice dont mix, unless you have polar treads $$$$$$

the s70 handles ice with ease as long as you are already moving when you hit it.

anoter concern is attachment plate, what does asv use?? if it is not the standard skidsteer plate (bobcat) than i am not interested, hate the oddball plate designs.

and then we come to dealer support..... is there a terex dealer nearby?? kelbe bros ??

i guess i made a concious decision to move away from the dingo stuff because of dealer support, i dont like the fact that i have to drive 80 miles to waukesha to get attachments or parts, that being said i still loved my dingo and will probably own another when we get a dealer in the madison area.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

We bought a new PT 30 last fall for sidewalks, and it will get lots of use in the summer as well. I probably only put about 10 of the 60 hours on it, but I did not have any issue with traction, granted the stock bucket is tiny and new ones are on the way, but it would push snow up to the windshield and keep going if you wanted too. I personally didnt even look at the s70 or the T110 for a few reasons. The first is controls they do not have pilot control options for the little skids and that is a must. The S70 was also ruled out due to the fact that it would get little to no use in the summer, and plus I have never been a fan of bobcat, or our dealer here. As far as the plate the PT 30 does have its own plate. You can buy the plates reasonably from bradco to weld on any attachments, thats what we did for our mt50 sweeper we already had. Keep in mind that the S70 also has its own mount plate that only bobcat mini machines use, and nothing else.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cct landscaping View Post
nice, i can see the plywood helping out a lot, so you carry around a few sheets to a job, 20min. to set up.... probably save a lot repair work.

Any advice on an 06 Vermeer s600 wheeled mini 300hrs - $9000.00

good price??

Thanks

That's a heck of a deal, I would be all over it.

Bought mine 3 years ago with 500 hours, gas motor for that price.

Went with a gasser over the diesel and the money I saved payed for back-hoe attachment for it. One of the best investments I've ever made and can sell the backhoe for almost twice of what I paid for it.

The aftermarket Prowler tracks do less damage to the turf also, keep that in mind. Reasonably priced, super easy to change out and idlers aren't bad either.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread lightly services View Post
i believe the pt30 is a terex?? rebranded asv i believe??
for me the asv undercarrage is a major weak point. componets wear out fast, and are ridiculously expensive to replace. i like the bobcat wheeled ones because of the higher ground pressure it affords for plowing purposes.

what is the weight of the pt30?? that was a concern for me i had a s100 for a week and decided on the s70 instead 1200 lbs lighter and just as strong for pushing snow.

the clincher for me is traction on ice...tracks and ice dont mix, unless you have polar treads $$$$$$

the s70 handles ice with ease as long as you are already moving when you hit it.

anoter concern is attachment plate, what does asv use?? if it is not the standard skidsteer plate (bobcat) than i am not interested, hate the oddball plate designs.

and then we come to dealer support..... is there a terex dealer nearby?? kelbe bros ??

i guess i made a concious decision to move away from the dingo stuff because of dealer support, i dont like the fact that i have to drive 80 miles to waukesha to get attachments or parts, that being said i still loved my dingo and will probably own another when we get a dealer in the madison area.
I would have agreed with you regarding reliability on the PT30 a few years ago, but the guys I've talked to in the last year have had good things to say about them. They've made many changes to the machines from the days of the RC30s.

The PT30 is only about 500lbs heavier than the S70 and will literally run circles around the S70 for snow pushing. I've rented both and there is no comparison.

I have a good relationship with the dealer in La Crosse. it's a long way, but I have long relationships with a couple of their salesmen and their service department.

Saying all that, the S70 is a decent machine for what it does.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:40 AM
LawnSite Member

it has been a while since this subject has been visited.. i now have 2 of the bobcat s70/463 doing 8+ miles of sidewalks, i have to say hands down the small bobcats have been the best investments i have made to date. with the 48"snowblower i can snowblow/bulldoze up to a foot of snow at full speed. with a blade it will push more than the blade can hold.

the bobcat parts support is great and the fact that you can rent attachments almost anywhere is priceless