Register free!

Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i used barricade last year and didnt notice any root problems... going to use it again this year...
Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have to use Dimension twice. You could then followup with another product in mid summer...and still be legal. Use prodiamine or pendimethalin.

If you have weeds now there is a good chance you are looking at winter annuals that germinated in late fall. Henbit, poa, chickweed.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Jvan -

Again my advice would not be based on zone but rather the weed you are concerned about, the product going to be used and it's AI, and in most cases I would assume the soil temps.
If you are concerned about the weeds you are seeing now - those guys have germinated obviously - what good is putting down a Pre-em going to do? I am failing to understand the concern on this part.
Last but not least - why are the HO's relying on you to tell them about turf conditions and recommendations. Should their L and O company not be doing that for them? Why are they asking you for recommendations on something you have no input on. I could understand them asking if you think there company is doing a good job in your opinion or if you know of someone who can do better but not asking for a prescription for their lawn.
The L&O is subbed out through my maintenance company.

Weeds that are showing have germinated, still plenty of seed in the ground that has not. Soil temperatures range between 60 & 70F (depending on location) which in range for germination. We have recommended emerged weeds receive spot treatment & a blanket pre-emergent application.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
If you have to use Dimension twice. You could then followup with another product in mid summer...and still be legal. Use prodiamine or pendimethalin.

If you have weeds now there is a good chance you are looking at winter annuals that germinated in late fall. Henbit, poa, chickweed.
Florida Pusley, Common Lespedeza, Kakiweed, Purslane, etc. and of course Dollar Weed from people refusing to cut back irrigation (not a big problem on most of our properties).

We've had a warm winter, mid 70F - low 80F and a decent amount of rainfal.

Cold snaps have been somewhat mild and of short duration usually not lasting more than about two days.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post

Riggle

Broad-leaf weeds are or should be easy to keep out of all the warm season turf. IMHO Pre emerge isn't needed for those weeds and does more damage than good. HOWEVER Grassy Weeds are a problem and we have very few legal Herbicides that can control them. THEREFORE Pre Emerge becomes valuable for Control of Crabgrass and suppression of Bermuda and Torpedo grass.

Today's post-emerge Crabgrass herbicides are rather disappointing. I actually have better luck killing Crabgrass with my Torpedo Grass herbicide which works great.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.