Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time of Day??

What time do most of you guys usually get started in the morning? I have a dilemma, I am a school teacher full time and I'm starting a side business to make ends meet. I'll be doing some light construction but mainly I'll be doing lawn maintenance. The spring and fall might be tight for me time wise. In other words, I'll have to do my mowing on weekends only. I don't have time to mow after school, I don't get home till after 5. Once school is out for the summer, it's not an issue. I'm not looking for a million accounts, but to make this work I need 15-20 lawns/ That's doable in 2 days. But I'm wondering what the customers feelings would be if I show up at 8am on Sunday morning. I'm thinking Saturday shouldn't be too much of an issue with starting early, but maybe on Sunday I'd need to wait till 11 am or so as to not disturb the peace.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Monday - Friday we start at 7am ... From 7-9:30 we cut all commercial so we do not wake residential customers up, after 9:30 we cut both residential and commercial.
Saturday - We do mulch, shrub trimming and side work this day so 7am if its commercial and 8:30 if it's residential.
Sunday - Day off =]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&S Lawn Service View Post
Monday - Friday we start at 7am ... From 7-9:30 we cut all commercial so we do not wake residential customers up, after 9:30 we cut both residential and commercial.
Saturday - We do mulch, shrub trimming and side work this day so 7am if its commercial and 8:30 if it's residential.
Sunday - Day off =]
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty much the times I try to stick too. Only yard tht gets cut on sundays is my house & maybe a commercial(tha is closed) if weather during the week threw me off schedule.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replies. Do you guys think it'll be unreasonable to be mowing residential on weekends? I really don't have a choice. I plan to be up front and honest with the customers from the start and explain the situation. Hopefully most will be cool with it, but ya never know, I might lose some clients because of this but maybe I won't. I dunno, what you guys thinking?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Im a teacher as well and have done between 10-15 big estate yards for the last 3 years. It is tight in the spring and fall but can be done. Spring is the worst because of all the rain. If it rains all weekend, it is a mess trying to get caught up. My dad helps me when I get behind so it is always good to have some kind of a back up plan.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Only yard tht gets cut on sundays is my house & maybe a commercial(tha is closed) if weather during the week threw me off schedule.
Posted via Mobile Device
We do have one big commercial that we have to cut on sunday because they have to be closed when we cut(there is alot of traffic with people walking). Other then that i cut my own grass, change the blades and grease the mowers and jetski on sunday.
Name:  jetski.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  133.6 KB

BTW Krazy i have been reading your thread on my spare time, your work looks good. I'm new to the site and have never really taken an pictures of the lawns i cut but i for sure will when our season starts the begining of April.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ's Mowing View Post
thanks for the replies. Do you guys think it'll be unreasonable to be mowing residential on weekends? I really don't have a choice. I plan to be up front and honest with the customers from the start and explain the situation. Hopefully most will be cool with it, but ya never know, I might lose some clients because of this but maybe I won't. I dunno, what you guys thinking?
You can explain to the customers your situation and try that sure, but the problem going into neighborhoods to early sometimes is the neighbors complaining. Also almost all cities around here have noise ordiences in residential areas...you might want to check that.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Calvert, thanks for the advice. I have 3 guys lined up as backups in case of weather. My dad's neighbor who's pushing 70, still mows a few yards, a buddy I used to work with is a solo LCO who says he might can pick up my slack, and I can my neighbors college-aged kid with my equipment if I HAVE to. The kid makes me a little nervous, he's a hard worker and I trust him with my stuff, but he's an engineering student that doesn't "have it" if you know what I mean. He's all brains, no brawn. I'd like to avoid all this, it'll mean more money in my pocket instead of somebody else's but I know it's inevitable.

On a side note, if you have somebody pick up your route for a week, how do you pay them. In other words, if I sub out to another guy with his own equipment, do you give him 100% of the pay or do you keep a certain % since they're your accounts? I'm thinking of taking 10-15% and paying the sub the rest. I'm thinking that's pretty generous, but wouldn't be much for a small account. On the other hand, I agreed to be a back-up for these other 2 LCO's when they go away on vacation during the summer......
Old 02-08-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've always looked at it as unprofessional to mow a resi on a Sunday. People don't want to hear a mower at 8am on wht is most peoples only day off. Not trying to be an a$$, but if you are that limited on time lawncare is prolly not for you. What happens when it rains all day Sat & Sun? You will get behind quick & overwhelm yurself, causing you to rush & cut corners just to get the yards cut. But that's just my $0.02.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
What happens when it rains all day Sat & Sun? You will get behind quick & overwhelm yurself, causing you to rush & cut corners just to get the yards cut. But that's just my $0.02.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah we mow Monday-Thursday and save Friday in case it rains. If it doesnt rain we do mulch, shrub trimming, side work on Friday and Saturday. It has worked pretty well for us.