Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Scotts Lawn Care

Scotts has open a Branch in my town should i be concerned?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I was the branch manager for the Scotts branch in my area prior to opening my business. They tend to price themselves way out of the running. A large percentage of my current customers were with Scotts at one point or another and even if they were to discontinue my service, they wouldn't go back to Scotts. You will have a good amount of people try them out but they usually will go back to the company that has the best value for the results.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Turf, are you implying that they are the higher priced provider?

Around here they are about 20% cheaper than us. We beat them on results all day and that's how we get to compete with them.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Turf, are you implying that they are the higher priced provider?

Around here they are about 20% cheaper than us. We beat them on results all day and that's how we get to compete with them.

They are the HIGHEST priced provider in my area. Keep in mind that this branch is a Franchise. The corporate locations tend to be more competitive with pricing. I know the franchise fees were ridiculous so they had to bump up the prices to be profitable. When I was running the Scott's branch here the minimum price (which is a front/side only under 3k ft2) was $44.95. That was also 3 years ago so I'm assuming that they are even higher now. A

As you stated, we kill them on results so it's hard for most customers to justify spending that much more for a brand name. Their sales pitches are "Scotts Proline Slow Release All Granular Feedings and Ortho Weed B Gon Pro etc" My programs are All Granular Slow Release Feedings and the Ortho Product is virtually the same as your Triplet or 3 way....same active ingredients. So really, as far as my area, they are selling people identical programs that we are minus the time, attention, and care that I can provide them as a smaller business.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, interesting. Exact opposite here.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I worked for Scott's when I first got into fert. The big advantage they have is what I used to close most of my sales there "were Scott's, we have a good reputation that we will work to protect and keep you happy. Yes, you can save a few dollars with Joes Lawn Service, but if you are disappointed with them who are you going to complain to? Who knows them from Adam? Where as with us everyone knows the name Scott's. I don't care who you talk to, you can ask your 85 year old aunt, she probably has a bottle of miracle grow in a cabinet. Your neighbor probably has a half bag of fert or seed in his shed. That's why we need to work to protect our reputation.".

That line of bs made me more commissions than anything else, those were some nice paychecks.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Around here they're priced about the same to slightly higher, but seem to do really good work. They take care of a BUNCH of lawns. It sucks mowing lawns they fertilize, lots of growth pretty much all year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
I worked for Scott's when I first got into fert. The big advantage they have is what I used to close most of my sales there "were Scott's, we have a good reputation that we will work to protect and keep you happy. Yes, you can save a few dollars with Joes Lawn Service, but if you are disappointed with them who are you going to complain to? Who knows them from Adam? Where as with us everyone knows the name Scott's. I don't care who you talk to, you can ask your 85 year old aunt, she probably has a bottle of miracle grow in a cabinet. Your neighbor probably has a half bag of fert or seed in his shed. That's why we need to work to protect our reputation.".

That line of bs made me more commissions than anything else, those were some nice paychecks.
That's funny, I use that exact line to my advantage...

I tell them that they are a big company, high turnover, never know who you are gonna get on the phone, anybody can buy the product, its all homeowner stuff, when they use me, they can get the owner on the phone, try that with the big boys, my products are commercial grade and many of them are only available to professionals...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

the scott,s franchise around here is huge, kinda sad to go in a neighborhood
after them and see dozens of flags. some people like the big store stuff.
But they use lesco / John deere landscapes products. their list of products
left w/ customer after app has all the scotts stuff listed plus the lesco stuff.
do these customers reaally think scotts is going around house to house
putting Miracle-Gro out ?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

True, Scotts franchisees here often use Lesco products. They probably have worked out some sort of national discount.