Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Tire marks when turning

I have a husqvarna sit down zero turn mower. 38 inch deck so its a little on the light side. Just put new turf saver tires on it and the end of last year. when i turn (either zero turn or 3 point turn) i need to go super slow to not tear up the grass. has anyone else had this issue? have you found wheel weights to add more weight? im running tires at 15 lbs which is what is recommended from the factory. Even my front caster wheels make marks sometimes which is very frustrating. Does anyone else have these issues? i feel like im the only one...
Old 02-09-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You're not the only one. It takes time and practice to make a turn without tearing up the lawn. I know you're new on it because almost all of us do this in the begining. It just takes some time and you make a turn wide open and never slow down and not tear the lawn up.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

well, ive had it for about a year now. Honestly, it doesn't seem like a technique thing. even if i ease on the stick super slow especially in reverse, one of the tires spin.... you dont think tire weights is a good idea? im getting ready to throw that mower out the window... or is there some special "trick" im missing?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, he's right. It just takes practice, whether or not you believe it's a technique thing or not. You just have to be realy smooth on the sticks. After a while you start getting the knack of it and wonder why it took so long. Don't get frustrated or give up. Buying a different ZTR will only make it longer before you get the hang of it, and you'l still have the same problem.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is really hard to make a true zero turn without making some kind of mark. I just make a 3pt turn.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys.

any advice on the caster wheels making marks? say im going forward and i stop and pull straight back, when the wheels do a quick turn around the other way sometimes they make a mark, especially on shallow rooted lawns. they are the square type. maybe the rounded type would do better?
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure they're not under-inflated. Anytime you try to rotate a tire in place and there's much weight on it it'll leave a mark.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

drew you a pretty picture

I had this problem when i started out. Just getting to the end of your row, pushing left up and pulling right and doing 180degree turn. everyone does it their first time. I see guys that sell these mower do it. here is a pic of a way to do it without messin up turf. 3pt turn.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeslandscaping View Post
I had this problem when i started out. Just getting to the end of your row, pushing left up and pulling right and doing 180degree turn. everyone does it their first time. I see guys that sell these mower do it. here is a pic of a way to do it without messin up turf. 3pt turn.
sorry my lines arent straight
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeslandscaping View Post
sorry my lines arent straight
I hope you at least charge extra for making those arrow heads and numbers in your lines when you mow.

Tags
marks , ruts , turn , turning