Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

there has been a lot of talk about tire pressure. i am assuming the lower pressure would also save you from bouncing around as well as more traction and better grip?
in the picture below, my tires are getting kind of worn. but it is my first zero turn. i am getting used to it but notice one tire always spinning when i am doing my 3 point turn and in reverse. are these a decent all around tire or should i get something else?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha5150 View Post
... i am assuming the lower pressure would also save you from bouncing around as well as more traction and better grip?
You've got it. Lowering the tire pressure can smooth out the ride and increase traction by increasing the size of the contact patch.

The down side is, when the tire side wall flexes, your Height of Cut changes.

You also have to be careful with the fronts. Lower the PSI too much and it becomes pretty easy to pop them off the bead.

I have to admit, I don't have much experience using the type of tires you have on your Chopper. We will have to see what Richard Martin says. He's the resident Dixie Chopper guy.

I will say this, it's hard to beat a good set of Turf Masters or Multi-Tracs

Q
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Jim.

qurious what pressure i should be running in front and back. i have mine pretty high right now.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha5150 View Post
Thanks, Jim.

qurious what pressure i should be running in front and back. i have mine pretty high right now.
Just as a rule of thumb, 15 PSI front and rear is a good place to start.

Q
Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimQ View Post
I am assuming you've got one of these...

Attachment 240083

Correct?

If so, I hate to be the one to give you the news, but...

In my opinion, they are the worst handling machine Husqvarna ever built. The fore / aft weight distribution is totally screwed up. They are very front heavy. Traction at the rear wheels is poor. It gets REALLY bad when it's wet and on hills. The small diameter of the rear tire also contributes. Because of the small diameter, there is a ton of torque and the tires break loose from the turf easily. The rear tire profile also sucks. It's rounded/crowned. Not flat/square like a good Turf Master. I know you said you put on a new set of Turf Savers but they are not a very aggressive tire. Poor traction. Cheap steering dampers also contribute. There are just a ton things working against you.

Contrary to what some have said, adding weight to the back of this machine will help your issue. You can also drop the pressure in the rear tires to around 10PSI.

You might also consider changing out the front caster tires to a set with a more round profile. The factory caster tires have a very square edge. With the square edge of the tire and the weight of the machine biased towards the front, they definitely tear up the turf!

Q
yes that is my mower with the exception of no headlights, box ect but same tires, frame, ect... did you have this machine at one point? how much weight would you reccomend? i have had this machine for a year now and had these issues, i have test driven other machines without any issues close to what i am having.... i had to replace the dampners already so i agree with you on that point also
Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmykubish View Post
yes that is my mower with the exception of no headlights, box ect but same tires, frame, ect... did you have this machine at one point? how much weight would you reccomend? i have had this machine for a year now and had these issues, i have test driven other machines without any issues close to what i am having.... i had to replace the dampners already so i agree with you on that point also
I don't want to speak for Jim Q, but since he's not on right now-

I know he worked at/for Husqvarna for a long time, so he would know as much about them as anyone here.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I don't want to speak for Jim Q, but since he's not on right now-

I know he worked at/for Husqvarna for a long time, so he would know as much about them as anyone here.
just clarifying are you saying he's pretty knowledgeable? im assuming so, but you said he would know as much about them as anyone here... lol sorry just confusing how you said it.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, Jim worked at Husqvarna. He knows as much, or more (probably lots more) than anyone else here about them.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Yes, Jim worked at Husqvarna. He knows as much, or more (probably lots more) than anyone else here about them.
awesome. thanks. cant wait to hear back from him
Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Ridin' Green

Hi Jimmy.

I was a Test Engineer in a previous life. I worked as "Manager of Test, Compliance, and Proto" (fancy title, I know. ) for Husqvarna Turf Care for 6-7 years before they made the decision to close the location here in Beatrice about 18 months ago. I stayed here and opened an Outdoor Power Equipment service and repair business. Now I'm a mechanic / accountant / janitor / receptionist / parts guy....

The CZ was designed, built, and released to the world before I started with the company so don't blame me! Your machine was still in production for a short time while I was there. It was one of the machines that our group was responsible for. So, yeah, I'm very familiar with it.

Also keep in mind, what I stated were opinions. And you know what they say about opinions... They are just like a-holes and elbows, everyone has 'em.

Q

Tags
marks , ruts , turn , turning